Transposing/conversion

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Feb 14, 2014.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Ed,

have you tried playing them up or down a semitone or more to see if they sound better to your ear?

Reminds me of the story of the organist of a particular church in London at the annual service for the lawyers whom had chosen an eight verse hymn he did not care for, the first verse he played in F, dropping each subsequent verse by a semitone, by the end the congregation was singing in Bb Basso.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I think I've only met two people with truly perfect pitch (play them any piano chord out of the blue and they'd name every note). Maybe they could tell the difference :dontknow:

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was playing yesterday evening during a church service and not wanting to play one hymn written in E major (F# major for me) I asked the organist to knock it up a semitone to F major (G major for me, and I had a part in this key) which she did by using the transposition feature of the electric organ. No worries - the choir didn't notice anything wrong with the key-change and all was well.

However the next hymn was in G major (A major for me) and I was reading the A major part. Immediately it sounded wrong to me when I played the first note and I realised the organist had forgotten to reset the organ and it was still playing up a semitone. I wasn't able to transpose a semitone up well enough on the fly so became an extra male voice during the refrain instead. (A few people complimented me afterwards on recognising that hymn didn't need a trumpet. sigh.)

What was interesting was that for those two hymns the choir didn't complain about them being a semitone up, so I suppose for some music that's okay.

--bumblebee

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    There is one unique issue on very old 78 recordings. The speed of 78 rpm was somewhat arbitrary and some were recorded slightly slow at speeds under the actual 78 rpm (some as low as 70 rpm) and other were recorded substantially faster, 80 rpm and above. Add high and low pitch instruments into the fix and you have a bit of a dilemma for today's transcribers of these old discs. That's not even taking into consideration what pitch they tuned to, A = 440 or something higher or lower. The cranked record players of those days didn't always lock in at 78 rpm during playback either.
    RT

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Of course, I never met either, but it is reputed that both had perfect pitch: one being Sousa and the other Eddie Duchin, who as a sonar interpreter in the Navy was said to excel, yet IMO his piano playing was something else.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I can certainly concur with speed variances on old cranked turntables and even playing 33 1/3 monos, 45s, and LP stereos with belts and discs slipping. It wasn't until I got a Thorens that the belt problem vanished and then I under padded my records with something similar to Scotchbrite. Gone now are all my records and the players inclusive of those that were once my parents and grandparents and to think one of my ancestors was a co-founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company in New Jersey before RCA bought in. For most of the old quarter inch thick Edison 78s I was getting $20.00 each, and the least just a dollar. IMO the best of the best were Deutch Gramophone.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I met one of them, James Knabe... made the perfect pitch for the Harrelson trumpet... Bought it right then and there... Yep, the perfect pitch!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My brother has perfect pitch ... I asked him about it and he said he mostly just uses it to get the key and after that just uses relative pitch. Never heard one complaint from him ever about pitch. Then again our idea of fun was to trying to sing songs sharp enough to make them sound bad.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At which time you would both "pitch" a relative fit?:dontknow:

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A young man who sings in choir with me has perfect pitch, as far as I can tell. We (as a mens quartet) sang "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" a cappella, and he just hummed the first note for us out of nowhere. He can always identify what a pitch is without any comparison notes. It can be annoying. I am glad I don't exactly have that perfect pitch, but I can certainly tell when someone is out of tune!