Transposing keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ladies and Gents,
    I know the interval to jump but for some reason I am still getttin' hung up on the new key signature. Any ideas to help would be greatly appreciated.

For instance, something simple = Piece is in C. I'm playing on a Bb (yes, I could use a C trpt, but bear with me). Read everything up a M2... but is the new key F?

2. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Bb trumpet playing C music:
    add two sharps and think up one note. Flute music with an empty key sig, playing with a trumpet: C = D, D = E, E = F#, etc.

3. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    All I do is move the key the same distance and direction I am moving the note. For example in C on B-flat I am moving up 2 steps, therefore I move the key up 2 steps from C to D. I am not sure if this is the correct way, but it is what has been working for me.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    BOOYAH! That explains it perfectly well. Thank ya sir.

Recap: Music is in F. I'm playin' on a Bb. Note on page is G, I would play a C. New key would be Bb... correct?

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    :bash:

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bear,

Think of it as having to make up for the difference.

What is the difference between:

1) what the page says the trumpet is in

and

2) what you have in your hand

That indicates both the diff you need to read (up or down) and the key signature

Keep it simple:

page says trumpet in C
    the key sig on the page is also C
    you are holding a Bb trumpet

diff is??? Bb to C make up the diff... a whole step.

Help? :-)

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    bear you are in college right? when are they teaching theory these days? at the end of the four years?

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    They don't teach crap in theory anymore. All they teach is form/chords. They don't teach conducting either, they only teach patterns. They don't teach you how to play, they teach you how to empty you spit valves. Don't get me started on this topic... I'll go on all nite. I've learned more in a month by personal research, you guys, and readin' books than I have in my 5 yrs of undergrad work at supposedly a top ten public music education school. :x :x

AND teachers never have time for you. You can't pop by their office during OFFICE HOURS or schedule a time to ask them a question. They're "oh so busy". You can't bother emailing because even if they DO get back to you, it's a few weeks down the road and the answer has already been found or homework is pastdue... ok, I promise I'll stop.. :-(

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Please take this to heart, this isn’t meant to be a slam on you.

If you have been in undergrad for 5 years that means that you will have the Praxis coming up soon and it seems that you are having a very hard time with basic theory( 1st semester). The Praxis II exam is going to be VERY hard for you if you don’t get your theory up to snuff. I also imagine that if your theory is lacking then your understanding of history isn’t all there either, I feel it is impossible to understand music history with out a very solid grasp on theory.

It doesn’t matter who is to blame, your school, etc…all that matters is what are you going to do about it.

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    No hard feelings at all. Ya gotta say what ya gotta say.

Here all I've had to take to obtain a teaching liscence from the state of Texas is the ExCET exam which I "think" (results pending, tryin' to look it up) takes the place of the Praxis. The ExCET I passed with flyin' colors. My GPA may not be a 4.0 but I have passed and have a liking for history (both musical and world).

Rgr, I came to y'all for help. But I guess I'll go somewhere else from now on. G'day gents.