Transposing keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

You seem to be missing my point, I am not criticizing your asking of a question.

But the fact remains that you are 5th year college senior asking a first semester theory question.

If you don’t know the answer by this point you sure as hell should know where to look for the answer.

it is too late for this,

:bash:

time to catch 5 hours of sleep and then go to the first day of preplanning :shock:

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Rgr, that's why I came to this website. I'm sorry sir, but I must be missin' your point cause it seems I'm being criticized for asking a noob question.

I read scores everyday, this is not a global question. I know that reading from Alto Sax to trumpet would be a M6 down (with octave displacement varying) or from Horn would be a P5. And yes, I know there is a lot more to score reading than just that aspect. It is trumpet specific transposing within the trumpet family. Yes, I realize that trumpet in F would be the same as reading from Horn to trumpet, but for some reason my mind doesn't connect that instantaneuously.... I'm done, last post. Sorry y'all had to read this. Just tryin' to become a better musician/person/whatever, but what's the use anyways.

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Keep on asking BEAR... you don't get a grade on this web site... it's not even pass or fail...

I think we just ask for good manners and the willingness to learn from each other.
    ;-)

4. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    diz, back off man. I took the same theory classes that Bear did, and they did not teach transposition. We had to learn it on our own. Bear, Gimme a call and we'll work it out.

If all you can do is give unproductive comments, don't bother posting. People come to this board looking for answers to questions, not to be shot down because "they should already know the answer"

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    When I first started transposing back in high school I would let my ear do the work and keep my head out of it. It seems to have worked because I do it to this day. This may not be the standard but it gets the job done. I'm sure Raider is giving you some good advice over the phone. Don't let this get you down because like anything else, it takes time to learn and become good at. Seeing as how you are a 5th year, you may also just want to let your instructor know you are having difficulty in this area and that it would really help if he devoted a few lessons to showing you some ways to deal with transposition. After 14 years of transposition I still have brain farts now and again.

By the way Bear, I always had C's in Music Theory but A's in Music History and Literature while in college. :-?

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I will not back off. First of all, I tried to offer productive comments, but your buddy is as oblivious to that as he is to everything else... I am tired of people backing off of things, saying it is ok, it is not ok. Anyone telling him otherwise is doing him a disservice in the long run. You can blame it on whom ever you like but it doesn’t change anything. His understanding of theory is unacceptable for anyone in or about to finish college. They might not have taught transposition at your school, but I am sure they taught key signatures and intervals. That is all you need to know. Think for your selves, stop being spoon fed.

You two should go ask for a refund from your college, because apparently you got screwed.

7. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I must have missed the part that was productive.....wait....there was no such part. Look back, you offered him absolutly no advice whatsoever. I'm sick and tired of people like you. Transposing can be a very tricky thing to some people. It isn't just knowing key signatures.

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I said I wouldn't post anymore but I must. This will be my last post on this website. Thxs to those few that truly helped me and cared. I hope maybe a post or two of mine came in handy for someone.

Jon, don't worry about it my friend, my brother. I can fight my own battles, you know my history/background. Diz is right, I should know this stuff like the back of my hand and I have already found a source for my trouble. Diz may say as he pleases and hold whatever postition he so desires. But thank you Jon for being a standup guy, it's appreciated.

Back to practicing. Goodbye folxs.

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Good luck Bear, I really do hope you get this stuff down, but remember pity and blame will not get you there.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Diz,

I think you may have missed the post because you weren't around or whatever but the reason people were treading gently around Tim was because of a recent post that he made. In that post he revealed some rather personal stuff about how he was feeling recently and why. It was heavy, let's just say that. So, if folks were backing off as you say, it was likely because he was being cut some slack as people will do when you're going through a bad time. It seems that post was taken off, so, if you missed it, you missed it.

Just thought you might want to know.

ML