Transposing keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Aug 1, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am also going into my 5th year of university. I am a poor theory student (which is why I am in my 5th year). I never transposed before my 3rd year with an orchestra that didn't even belong to the school. Bear, I am very upset that you would let one persons comments discourage your taking part of this marvelous website. I still consider my self a great trumpet player - with or without theory. I realize, however, that theory is important.

Perhaps any of you have heard of Dave Jackson? He is an amazing Military trumpet player. (Retired from the playing world now). But I hear (only a rumour) that he has never had lessons or even went to University or College. And yet one of the greatest Military trumpet players Canada has ever seen.

Bear, please come back, you have every right to ask questions here - that is what it's here for!!! However, when you ask questions you have to be able to take the good along with the bad. News you don't want to hear may still be the truth.

My to cents
    didn't really want to get involved, and yet that is what this website is for, isn't it????

Cheers, and good luck with the thoery, I know I'll need it as well!

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Manny,

Thanks for the info. This summer I have been very busy and have gone from reading every post to scanning what I can find time for every couple of days so I was unaware of any circumstances regarding bear and his situation.

Thanks for putting this into a different perspective.

3. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Bear, I know you said you weren't going to post here again, but hopefully you'll read this and it will be useful.

I have not noticed anyone try to answer your question, so here goes.

"Music is in F", I'll take that to mean "Music is written for Trumpet in F with no key signature. You are using you Bb trumpet (good lad!). The F trumpet is usually smaller (ie the sounding pitch is higher unless written for Trumpet in F Alta) So count up from Bb. Eg, Bb, C, D, Eb, F=5 (using diatonic scale). You play each note a fifth up. If the note on the Page is G (in the stave), you would play a D (in the stave; fourth line).

For the key signature you must take the key of the trumpet the piece is written for and raise it by one tone (whole step in US). OK? So trumpet in F gives you Key signature "G" when playing on your Bb trumpet.

If you still do not understand why this is the case, please reply here, or PM me, or Email me and I will attempt to explain further. Please do not be put off by the rude comments of others, remember "the path to all knowledge and wisdom begins with four words: I do not know"

4. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    To add to that explanation, I'll give you an example of transposing for Trumpet in C, something which all Bb owners would do well to master if desiring to play in an orchestra.

Trumpet in C is easier, Count up the diatonic scale starting on Bb: ie Bb>C = one Tone or Whole Step. So each note you play is one tone (WS) higher than what is written on the page. Assume there is a written key signature of Eb. ie three Flats. Using your Bb Trumpet you always need to raise the key signature by one tone (WS) so the new key is F.

Hope this helps.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thanks for bringing the thread back on track. Muchos Gracias! :cool: