Transposing Tunner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Mar 12, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can anybody advise on transposing tunners i,e do they work in this manner.....if i play a 'C' on my 'B flat' trumpet will it show a 'C' ? if so can anyone recomend a make and model? is there a good app? many thanks.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have one by Temby - works a treat, you select the key of the transposing instrument eg Bb (there are 4 selections Eb, Bb, G, and I think D. You then play third space open. It's a little difficult to identify b or # but you can work it out. Mine has clip and mic settings so it can pick up directly from the structure of the horn, or from free air if clipped on the stand. Cost me AUD$45 here in Oz - I've forgotten who it came from (somewhere in Melbourne) but I can dig that out.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Most people (of all instruments) just memorize how to convert their instrument pitch to concert pitch. (For trumpet, concert pitch is shown one whole step down than trumpet pitch) And if you get used to it, if you (for example) see a Bb on the tuner, you'll know its your C. It's better when when the tuner shows concert pitch because it helps when tuning with other instruments.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Get a tuner that allows you to pick you key. Center Pitch CP2 adjusts for Bb, C, Eb, and F. It is designed for brass and woodwinds. You pick up less ambient vibration form other instruments. Not bad for under $30.

5. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    If you were just using it to establish your initial pitch that is fine, but if you are working on intonation throughout the range it could be harder.

6. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    +1

Everyone who plays a transposing instrument should learn how to convert to and from Concert Pitch. It's a great skill to have, and you'll be miles ahead of those folks who never took the time to figure it out.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Precisely why I've retained so much of my Mother's and Grandmother's piano music. I now sight read it as readily as that specifically for my Bb instruments. Likewise acquiring such from universities and Library of Congress when such is public domain. Too, it's fun to transpose the bass and raise it an octave or more to play a harmony in trumpet duets or trios, albeit I do have to write this out.

Of course, it is essential when playing from church hymnals.

8. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Church hymnals used to always have orchestral companion books available, I looked for one the other day online and couldn't find one. Sign of the times.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I've known some church songs arranged for full orchestra, if for those in the hymnal "use to always have orchestral companion books", you'd have to be older than I am to know of any in the following protestant denominations: Lutheran, Church of Christ, Methodist, Methodist-Episcopal, Presbyterian, and Baptist, and yes, I've about 20 of these, some in different editions, and some dated long before I was born.

Consider the size, if such ever existed. A conductor's score for a symphony orchestra of just one song often would be about half the thickness of a common hymnal.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012