Transposing

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    I have just started to play in a Orchestra and I had to find out how to tranpose parts writen for trumpet in other keys so a Trumpet part written in Trumpet in E I transpose of 6 half steps which is a tritone. C one whole step so how about trumpet in A . Keep in mind I'm using a B flat trumpet . I don't have the money for a C trumpet and stuff like that. please respond ASAP. I need this this Sunday

2. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Go down half a step, when you're playing Bflat trumpet. Good luck!

Oh, a little tip for transposing: practice, practice and some more practice... :wink:

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    The greatest tip I have been given for transposition is not to think of each note, then + / - a tone, but to think of a key signature, and notice shapes (ie. arpeggios, scales, intervals etc.). For me this makes transposition 300% faster, and allows you to actually concentrate on the music rather than always working out what the next note is.

Try it!

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I agree with Jack.

If you can think in the key. Tonic, sub-dominant, dominant, etc. It makes transposition a lot faster and easier. Thinking up or down is tougher.

Jim

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    The key signature method of transposition is definitely a good way of starting your journey into this territory, especially if the music is very tonally based. Handel, Bach, Mozart, Haydn trumpet parts all respond very well to this method.
    However, if you are thinking of tackling more harmonically challenging pieces (Stravinsky, Stockhausen, Birtwhistle et al) it is useful to be able to look at any note and know what you are supposed to be playing.

As with many things, learn different approaches and go for the one that works for you in your circumstances.

I use both, but usually the key signature method - probably due to the sort of music I play.