Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolieo505, Apr 9, 2009.

1. coolieo505

coolieo505 New Friend

Nov 6, 2008
    Texas
    I'm playing in my church orchestra this sunday. Some of the music is written in C trumpet and i play B flat trumpet. I can't remember how to transpose. So how do you transpose the notes and key signature into B flat trumpet?

2. MartinRooney

MartinRooney New Friend

Feb 27, 2004
    Boston MA
    Up 1 step, plus 2 #'s.

3. coolieo505

coolieo505 New Friend

Nov 6, 2008
    Texas
    ok. Thanks!

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    up 2 half steps

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Or minus 2 flats.

OLDLOU>>

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Simple everything is up one step and the key signature goes up one step. If you are in the key of C transposing you are in the key of D.

7. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I remember it as add 2#'s and up one step if it is a sharp key and minus 2flats if and up one note when it is a flat key.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi 505,
    Here's a recipe that if you write it down and follow the directions, you can transpose to ANY instrument. Its based on the Cycle of 4ths going UP and the Cycle of 5ths(which is the Cycle of 4ths backwards) going DOWN. I'll first give an example of "UP" then and example of "DOWN

Example of UP
    Instrument pitch is D, the music is in Db. You need to transpose to a C pitched instrument.
    The first thing to do is simply write the Cycle of 4ths on a piece of paper like so:
    C >Eb< Stop Here
    F Bb
    Bb F
    Eb C
    Ab G
    Db D
    F# A
    B E
    E B
    A F#
    D > Db < Start here
    G
    The directions say transpose from D to C, right? That means you're going "UP" the Cycle.
    Now, put your finger on D and go up each letter of the Cycle reciting the Cycle starting on Db. "Notice I've done that for you on the Cycle"
    Answer Eb

Example of "DOWN"
    Instrument pitch is Db and its in the key of G and you wish to transpose it to a D pitched instrument.

C
    f
    Bb
    Eb
    Ab
    Db > G < Start Here
    F# D
    B A
    E E
    A B
    D > F# < Stop Here
    G

The directions say Db to G, right? That would be "DOWN" the Cycle. Notice I've done it for you. The answer: F#

Learn this and you won't have to depend on someone giving you a fish, you'll know how to fish. All you have to do is jot down "in a column" the Cycle of 4ths like I have it to calculate the transposition. Also the Cycle is easy to remember since the word BEAD shows up twice. I'll write it across the page to show you:
    C F (Bb Eb Ab Db) F# (B E A D) G

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    To be honest, this confused me. It's much easier for me to remember that Bb is one whole step, two half steps from concert C - or count the half steps between Bb and whatever instrument it is written for "D" for your example is four half steps up from Bb, so I need to shift everything up two full steps (four half steps might be easier to work with depending on accidentals etc). In other words, an A becomes C#, C becomes E, Bb becomes D, it appears to consitently move up two positions on the staff (line to line, space to space), but what to do about the key signature so we don't have all these accidentals? Move up and add two sharps (delete two flats, delete the one flat and add a sharp, whatever) seems an easy shortcut.

Now doing this all in your head rather than transcribing . . .

I'm not even sure where the columns came from.
    G=F#
    D=F#, C#
    A=F#, C#, G#
    E=F#, C#, E#, D#
    B=F#, C#, E#, D#, A#
    etc, I am not seeing a coorelation . . . I am sure it's there, but I don't see it.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    All you have to do is:
    If I have a piece of music written for Eb clarinet in the Key of Ab and wish to transpose it to Ab Alto
    1)Write the Cycle of 4ths down the page
    2)Look and see if Eb is headed down the page to get to Ab.
    3)Put your finger on Eb and "recite the Cycle of 5ths starting on Ab" while moving down the page until your finger stops on Ab. Your recited answer should be Eb