Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolieo505, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    OK, I THINK I am following you now.
    Ok, so music is in C, written for a C instrument, we should have two sharps (D) when transposing for a Bb trumpet
    right? So Bb is down the page from C, and we're starting from C with an instrument pitched in C, so we'll go
    from top to bottom, but be reciting in reverse order (clockwise on the circle of fifths)

C - C <start here>
    f - G
    Bb - D <stop here>
    Eb
    Ab
    Db
    F#
    B
    E
    A
    D
    G

If we were transposing for a Pic (in A) from an Oboe in C, and the piece were written in in Eb, A is down the page
    from C so we are still reciting clockwise on the Cirle of fifths - beginning this time on Eb
    C - Eb
    F - Bb
    Bb - F
    Eb - C
    Ab - G
    F# - D
    B - A
    E - E
    A - B (five sharps)
    D
    G

So the key becomes B? Probably not a good choice to use an A, we could have had one flat if we'd chosen a Bb Pic?
    Is that right? So that would help you choose which insturment to use???

You still have to figure out how many lines/spaces to adjust by though right . . .?

It all seems pretty tough to do in the head. But for transcribing, it seems helpful.

Or did I misunderstand?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You're on the right track!
    Its just a matter of using the Cycle (when you wrote your Cycle down the page you missed Db) but that's not the big thing. The big thing is that you understand the process and you do. Going Up use the 4th, going DOWN drink a ...err use the 5th.

If you have an instrument in C (oboe) and its in the key of Eb, and you wish to transpose it to an A instrument.
    C > Eb< start here
    F Bb
    Bb F
    Eb C
    Ab G
    Db D
    F# A
    B E
    E B
    A > F# < Stop here
    D
    G

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm going to bookmark this for future reference, thanks.