Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by breakup, Oct 27, 2015.

1. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I recently decided to play some pieces that I had piano music for, and was thinking that I would have to rewrite everything for the trumpet, and that would take some time. Then I tried a couple pieces, just reading the piano music and playing one step higher, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, it just took a little practice till I got it. Has anyone else tried this, and how did it work out?

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Every morning school assembly out of hymns ancient and modern for about seven years. After a while, it became second nature. Also helped other transposition intervals slot into place quickly when called for.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    That's what I do for my church choir. It gets interesting when you play with an orchestra and the parts you're given are for Eb trumpet, or D trumpet, or F trumpet or C trumpet. At first I would spend many hours with MuseScore transcribing them for Bb but after a few months got used to transposing on the fly (simply too much music to transcribe everything). The easiest for me is going from C to Bb, and transposing the others on the fly is still a very cerebral task.

--bumblebee

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've been sight transposing C music to Bb from the earliest on as it was about the only music the school could then scrounge. Too, I was reading over my Mother's or Grandmother's left shoulder as they played the piano.

Just remember you also subtract 2 flats from C music key signature to play on a Bb instrument.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, actually, it is add 2 sharps. Lets say we're playing a piece in C major (concert) written for C trumpet on a Bb trumpet. Since the Bb trumpet is a whole step below the C trumpet, we need to transpose up a whole step for it to sound correctly. Hence C major becomes D major, and the E and B on C trumpet become F# and C#.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I think he meant "Eb turns into F" when transposing C to Bb.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Actually, it works either way. If you are subtracting flats you automatically add the effect of added sharpening. Thankfully, I've yet to see any Bb trumpet music with 8 or 9 sharps. Well, music for any instrument with more than 7 sharps or flats.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    C major has no Eb in it! The E in a C part becomes F# in the Bb part.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It becomes a necessity when reading over the shoulder of a Piano player, or when playing Bb trumpet from Piano/Guitar or Hymn Books. That is where we learn it quickly. It is like a switch, and once learned, it seems to stick.

I am amazed at players that can switch from Eb Soprano to Bb to C on the run, reading only the Bb part. That is impressive.

Or playing Eupho from a Tenor Part, or Alto in the lower register.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    For some wyrd scales, I find it easier to think of C to Bb transposition as two clockwise steps on the cycle of fifths.

So two steps round from D# phrygian (5 sharps) gives E# phrygian which is probably best dealt with as F phrygian (5 flats). Cases like these, though rare, have you reading up a diminished third rather than major second.