Transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by breakup, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
  2. Rocksham

Rocksham New Friend

Oct 29, 2015
    Mid-Missouri
    Thanks. My wife and I figured out her keyboard has a "transpose" setting. She will be learning the standard fingerings. So, everything is cool and in tune!

3. Biraphile

Biraphile New Friend

Dec 22, 2016
    England
    Am I right in thinking that if the music I want to play is written in key C for the piano, the Bb trumpet part will be written in key D?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Playing out of a hymnal is easy. Playing "piano scores" is as well. It's the C-trumpet-playing-F-trumpet transposition that kills me. Why can't I just play it on Bb trumpet and transpose a fifth instead of wracking my brain trying to figure out the fourth on C trumpet?! Also, playing D trumpet parts on an A piccolo takes some getting use to. But then, once you realize that you're just (essentially) playing "out of a hymnal", it becomes second nature also. You just have to learn how to read bass clef really well! :cool:

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Yes. You would transpose one step up if playing a part written for instruments in "C". Concert "C" is written in "D" for trumpet and cornet.

6. Biraphile

Biraphile New Friend

Dec 22, 2016
    England
    Thanks - it can get confusing, to me at least, but I am trying to build a proper understanding.