transposition help?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kandaar, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kandaar

kandaar New Friend

May 5, 2010
    Rowland Heights, CA
    ok so my problem right now is i have a piece of music that need to be transposed from trumpet in E, not Eb but E, to trumpet Bb. I've googled this question everywhere and i could not find out how. If someone can just tell me like what a C in Trumpet in E is for trumpet in Bb and another note like G that would help me so much. and if possible please help me transpose from trumpet in E to Horn F
    Thanks

2. kandaar

kandaar New Friend

May 5, 2010
    Rowland Heights, CA
    oh and i do have finale and no it doesnt help

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    To transpose from trumpet in E part to play on Bb take all notes up 3 tones, a written C will become F#.

To play trumpet in E part on F horn take notes down a semitone, a written C becomes B on F horn.

Regards, Stuart.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key of C for an E Trumpet is F# for a Bb. You can use the transposition function in Finale. Change the key signature adding 6 sharps and transpose up.

For an F horn playing a trumpet part (why would ANYONE want to do this?), you need to change the key signature by adding 5 sharps and transposing UP.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Rowuk is right, to play at same pitch on horn as trumpet, down a semitone and up an octave, may get a bit high on horn, what is the piece? I recently played Kol Nidri in a concert, both horns and trumpets in E.

Regards, Stuart.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Practice your transposition skills. Well if you are in a hurry, and don't have the time to walk the walk...Sibelius or Finale can help you as described by Rowuk.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Just for future reference ... I think of it like this
    any instrument playing a written C.... what note does the piano have to play for it to be the same ... (Bb)Trumpet C //Piano Bb ... (Eb) Sax written C/.piano Eb .....
    so an E trumpet plays a written C .. the piano plays an E
    easy way to remember ...

8. kandaar

kandaar New Friend

May 5, 2010
    Rowland Heights, CA
    the horn part is also in E so i needed horn E to horn F

I tried to transpose on Finale, but i couldn't get it to work