transposition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

How did you learn transposition? I read on another post that you like to teach your students out of the bass clef arbans. I've always learned intervals and that works best for me and now I'm far enough into it I don't want to change. I'm just curious about your journey into transposition. Thanks!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

I learned at first by interval until I started studying with Vacchiano who used a variety of clefs to teach it.

I use C clefs for Ab and C transposition, Bass clef for D trumpet. The others I do by interval but by this point they feel like clefs of a sort. I learned all my transpositions on the Bb.

ML

3. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i learned with a beginner's trombone book!

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Jeremy,
    Solfege!!! Find the Manuel Pratique by Dandelot and live by it for a month! You don't even need a trumpet. Just sit there and speak the syllables in eah cleff. Also, when I was first getting used to transposing, I found running through the Concone book and the early melodies in Arbans very helpful. Thats my two one-hundreths.
    -Jimi

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Ah, I like the idea of Bass Clef for D trumpet.. If only I had have known that before I had a D (well, an extended borrow of a D!)

Bass clef also works when playing C trumpet parts on an A. E.g. Vivaldi's double concerto!.. although, when the guy suggested it to me when I had to play this on Christmas eve, my mind went BLANK and I immediatly ran for my Bb leadpipe for my picc! :-?
    I had to play the second part, and did I make a mess, oh Yes I did.. I put it down to never having seen the music before the rehearsal (an hour before the service! not always a good idea) and years of listening to the concerto without realising I was always more focused on the 1st part.. sounds wierd?

To practice transposition, I was told to get out those old learner books full of familiar tunes.. (Anyone remember Tune a Day ?? I was never good enough for this, I had to use Tune a Week :-P ) and transpose them into different keys. The familiarity of the tunes would ensure that you spotted wrong notes immediately.