travel question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl612, May 31, 2005.

1. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    i am going to italy for two weeks this summer
    and i cannot really afford to take the two weeks off
    i was wondering what i could do if anything wile in europe
    frining my horn isnt really an option as we are only allowed one suitcase and a SMALL CARRY ON <we have specified backpacks from the tour company the school uses>
    and since we are going to be out most of the day <return to the room 2am be up and out arnd 6am...>i was wondering if you could suggest anything? thnx

2. Iamtrpt

Iamtrpt New Friend

May 16, 2005
    What I do when I'm bored and I don't have my actual trumpet with me

Get my mouthpiece from my pocket...
    Get some tape...
    Get a straw...
    Poke some holes...(three preferably)
    If you have a small funnel great (but not necessary)

Make buzz..

There's your homemade trumpet! You could probably buzz a couple tunes on it. It actually really helped me on my embrochure. My Dad taught me how to do it when I was little and when my trumpet was on backorder.

Just a thought

3. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    aww thats cute
    thnx man

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you MUST annoy your roommates while on the road, mouthpiece is the only way to go. Personally I think you'll find yourself either too dang busy or wiped out from walking and "sensory overload" to even think of practicing. Don't waste the opportunity to see the culture. Two weeks rest at your age will not kill you.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I believe that all airlines allow for one musical instrument in addition to the carry on item.

Two weeks isn’t really that long, I think you should think about taking the whole time off, you will come back musically refreshed and ready to work again. I have found that a little bit of time to “reboot†is always good. There is a great interview with Herseth where he talks about this and about how time away allows you to come back even better.

If you must practice take the mouthpiece and buzz. You can also do mental (visualization) practice as well.

6. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    hmm right now im thinking mpc

and as far as the luggage restrictions its b/c im going with the school and tour co NOT the airlines

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am very curious:
    How will you get from practice room 5 to Italy? are you taking a boat?

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what are they going to do if you show up with a horn in a gig bag? it is not like they will send you home, it is your money paying for the trip.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Oh yeah... show up with a horn in a gig bag for a flight to Europe which will also involve about a 2 week "road tour" on a bus while slugging a backpack and suitcase around too! And no place to practice except in a hotel room where they don't necessarily speak your language (musically or otherwise!) Better go buy an Olds Ambassador!

10. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    lol well i HAVE an ambassador
    but seriously we are ONLY ALLOWED ONE SUITCASE and one backpack given to us by the company b/c of the buses we will be using in italy
    oherwise we are flying
    BUT IT IS THE RULES OF THE COMPANY THE THE TEACHER