Travelling to NY, advices to trade a horn, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rinconcito, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    Travelling to NY, advices to buy/trade a horn, please

Hi, guys

I found a crazy cheap flight from Spain to NYC (200 dollars) and will spend few days there. I would like to use this opportunity to get an american trumpet, probably a Bach Strad.

The problem is that I'm quite short of money so I was thinking about selling my Bb Stomvi Forte (mint condition, almost new) to get some money. I asked Dillon Music and they can offer me a trade-in value of 700 usd, but I can get that money here too and I shouldn't have to carry the horn.

So do you know if I could get more money for my horn in another place? And, apart from there, how to buy a horn at a good price? I could have about 800 usd for a Strad. Is that possible? I should try craiglist? The problem is I have only few days, don't know the city and my GF would kill me if I spend all the holidays days just looking for horns ROFL

Thanks a lot!

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    For a trade in $700 is pretty good. I doubt you'd beat that. You might be able to get more from a private sale. Regarding finding a horn. A trip to dillons would be good. I also do work for a music store in pj New York, which is a quick train ride from NYC. I have a nice conn 60b for sale in your price range, not a strad, but an American horn none the less. Th shop has mostly student horns but I think there is a mid/upper level yamaha on the wall, and maybe an olds or two as well. This music shop also has the largest selection of American folk instruments and Irish box accordions on the easy coast (that I know of). So if those things are of any interest to you, it's worth the ride. Feel free to pm me if I can be of any more assistance.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Where?!

Tom

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Oh sorry...local abbreviation. My fault. Port Jervis.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Go visit Josh Landress brass.

6. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for your reply! So what's the name of the store? That Conn sounds interesting. Would your please send me more details (year of manufacture, it is silver plated?, condition)? In a private message if you prefer.

Thanks!

7. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    I don't know about prices, but the location is excellent in Manhattan! Thanks!

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Re: Travelling to NY, advices to buy/trade a horn, please

The Stomvi Forte is by all accounts an excellent instrument. Why on earth would you take a $1,000 depreciation hit on a trade-in for the slim chance of finding a replacement that could match what you already have?

Cheap flights to New York will still be there 12 months from now. And if you can save $20 a week between now and then, you will be in a far stronger position to negotiate a price for the right horn, rather than struggle to afford the horn nobody else wants. It's a hard lesson to learn, but believe me, patience pays great dividends in the long run.

9. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    Re: Travelling to NY, advices to buy/trade a horn, please

Hey! Thanks for your comment. Maybe you are right, but as I live in Spain it's easy to find Stomvi here (I paid 700 usd for mine too and it was almost not used) and it's very hard to find used Bachs or Conns.

So what amount do you think is a good starting point to buy a nice horn?

Thanks!

10. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    No musician's trip to NYC would be complete without hearing music in Carnegie Hall, the NY Phil at Lincoln Center, and if any way possible, the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton.