Travelling to NY, advices to trade a horn, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rinconcito, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    J. Landress Brass
    153 West 36th Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10018.
    Monday - Friday 11am-7pm Saturday 12pm-4pm

I second that.

Dillons is great also. Easy to get to from the NJ Transit Train that you can catch at Penn Station.

2. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    You are so right! But I really have a small budget. Can you find last minute discounted tickets, like in Broadway?

I have tickets for Marsalis when he comes to UK in June ;)

By the way, any tip for cheap accomodation is veeeery welcome. I'm getting mad trying to find something.

3. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Josh Landress.

It's very convenient for if you're traveling -- send the girlfriend around the corner to Macy's or Manhattan Mall, while you check out Josh's selection of incredible horns.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Cheap hotels are easiest to find outside of the city. Download the train schedule, and look for stuff along the line.

5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Agree with this. Forget the trumpet safari, go take in the holy sites.

Unless there's something burningly wrong with the Stomvi...I mean I understand the impulse but.... would you be better off picking up as (ak!) ambassador*, simply for it's USA-ness and rarity in Spain ? Again I dunno how you really feel about the horn you intend parting with. It's not a financial good play. If you hate the horn, or are lukewarm about it, say no more and it isn't about value.

*Ambassador is used more or less generically here. It could be a vintage Conn or whatever.

6. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    The TKTS booth in Times Square sells discounted same day Broadway show tickets. If you have a student ID card, there are discounted tickets for many NY Phil performances, some as low as $15 for great seats. Other discount tickets become available days before some concerts. Student discounts for Jazz at Lincoln Center are available for some Rose Theater concerts and some sets at Dizzy's Club. For jazz clubs like Jazz Standard, Village Vanguard, Blue Note, Iridium, Birdland and others, it costs less to watch from the bar area than at a table.

For hotels, don't stay outside Manhattan if that's where you plan to spend most of your stay. "Time is money". A cheap hotel outside Manhattan means more time and money spent on transit. Use all the travel websites to shop around, like Priceline.com, Hotwire.com, etc. Also try AirBnB. The only cheap Manhattan hotel I've used is this one: Hotels in the Upper West Side, New York City | Marrakech Hotel. It's 3-4 floors, no elevator, small rooms but clean, very safe neighborhood, near subways, and relatively cheap.

Have a great trip!

Jolter likes this.
  7. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Bang for the buck: There are some great Jazz clubs in the city also. For example, at the Blue Note, a table is about 40 dollars and I believe 20 at the bar for most shows: Blue Note New York Performance Schedule

You'll find that if you walk in the West or East Village in NYC, you'll come across some great music.

Another gem that's about a half hour away from Manhattan is Trumpets Jazz Club in Montclair NJ: Trumpets Jazz Club & Restaurant | Jazz is alive in Monclair, NJ! 6 Depot Sq., Montclair, NJ 07042

Here's a great hotel just 10 minutes from Manhattan via the PATH subway. Prices are about 220 to 250: Jersey City Hotels | DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City | Jersey City, NJ

8. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    This.

I mean, unless its no-pants day, or you get a tip about a flashmob or something, riding the PATH train into The City is, like Rocky Mountain Oysters, something you only need to experience once to cross it off the list. If even then. Go ahead and make the ride to Jersey and back, then try to forget the whole thing. Don't leave the station if you can help it.

9. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    Hehe, thanks for the great tips!

Maybe there are small jazz clubs where you can dine for a reasonable price?

About the trumpet, I'm now more confused than before about if I should just keep this.

Just to clarify, you can find the Stomvi new in Spain for 1075 USD. And the cheapest Strad I found is the lacquered ML-180 for 3260 USD. Silver Bach LR42 is 4000 USD.

So, as you see, my perspective from Spain is a bit different.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You can find a decent Bach for around $1,200 if your timing is right. Then again you probably could get on one ebay, not sure what the shipping cost would be. I am not sure if budget and Manhattan can be said in the same sentence. Definitely plan and get as much info you can from someone who hangs there alot and recently. I like the idea of picking up something that is relatively cheap here but has value in Spain... maybe a Conn 38b Connstellation?