Travelling to NY, advices to trade a horn, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rinconcito, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rinconcito

rinconcito Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2013
    Sure, a Conn 38B would be great too. I have to think on a horn that could be sold in Spain if I want to change the horn later. What reasonable price can I expect for a 38B in good conditions? And.. where to find it? :D

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    My suggestion is: if you find a horn that you really like to play, and have enough money to pay for - then buy it. Whatever the engraving on the bell says. You will remember the quality long after you forget the price.

3. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    You could easily go to Dillon's with your Forte' and 800 bucks and walk out with a used Strad.But, I've tried a Forte' and a V-Raptor, and I think Stomvi makes great horns- why not just upgrade to a better model, if they're cheaper in Spain?

4. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    Actually you can find the Elite model in good conditions for about 1000 dollars. Or look at this used Master for 1500 (it costs 4500 in USA I think):

MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - OPORTUNIDAD!!!!!trompeta stomvi master

But, well, it's something emotional too. I'd like to have a horn purchased in NY. Maybe it's not very smart, but has a lot of sentimental value for me, hehe.

5. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    And what about pawn shops? :)

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trade-in in US means only credit towards your purchase of something with more value. Still, you'll be hit at Spanish customs with the original pricing of the item you purchase here. Too, it is possible you'll be hit by US Customs bringing your instrument here. Just for your consideration.

Otherwise, both Dillon's and Josh Landress are respected instrument dealers.

7. rinconcito

Nov 5, 2013
    If you bring the instrument as a hand luggage and it's clearly used ¿do you usually have problems with Customs?? I dind't think about that...

8. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Depends on your local customs officers. Returning would be more worrisome - when arriving in NY as a tourist, they have no reason to assume you're selling it. Just say you're gonna practice. But in Spain, you can always point to the fact that you had one horn when you left, and this is the same one... No, I don't know anyone who had trouble of this kind, but then again I don't know any Spanish customs officers.

9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Depends on your local customs officers. Returning would be more worrisome - when arriving in NY as a tourist, they have no reason to assume you're selling it. Just say you're gonna practice. But in Spain, you can always point to the fact that you had one horn when you left, and this is the same one... No, I don't know anyone who had trouble of this kind, but then again I don't know any Spanish customs officers.

Like others have said, I think you'd be unwise to sell your trumpet if you're happy with it. Save up, and then next year get a used Strad on ebay.co.uk or ebay.de (then you won't have to pay VAT or customs fees for importing it).

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Take your Stomvi to Wayne Tanabe at Yamaha Artists Services for a valve alignment. It will seem like a new horn.
    I'm not a NYer, but isn't it still pretty reasonable to stay at the Y?