Treatment for a trumpet player's chapped lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jaysne, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jaysne

jaysne New Friend

Jan 9, 2015
    West Massachusetts, USA
    How do you take care of chapped lips so it's easier to play?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The lips are best hydrated from the inside--drink plenty of water. Get some vitamin E capsules and rub the oil inside on your lips. At the end of the day, I like to use Carmex.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Avoiding dehydration is the first step.
    Drink lots of WATER... not soda or caffienated beverages (caffeine is a diuretic)
    Avoid salty foods (processed/cured meats, salty snacks, french fries, etc..)

Minimize the exposure of the lip tissue to surface evaporation:
    Excessive direct sun exposure
    Excessive wind exposure

Use some kind of lip balm to protect the lips from exposures.
    Avoid products that contain things like sweeteners and flavorings (you will lick them off and get chapped)
    Avoid products with drying ingredients (menthol, camphor)

Balm is EASY to make at home, get some liquid oils (almond oil, grapeseed, avocado, etc...) add some solid oils (coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter), add a few drops of vitamin E oil (a great anti-oxidant that help prevent oil rancidity)... and finallt some beeswax.

There are tons of recipes online.

I make my own and infuse the liquid oils with various homeopathic herbs that aid in healing (Arnica, Comfrey, Calendula, White Willow)....

You can do it too.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    However if you want to get something over the counter I use vaseline with Aloe Vera.

5. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Put chapstick on before you go to sleep.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    When I lived in Chicago (harsh winters) I used Blistex cream. It came in a tiny metal tube like tooth paste.

7. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    This is what I used in marching band during the winter. I rubbed some around the rim of the mouthpiece and some on my lips. Of course this is not a habit you want to maintain for very long.

8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Colorado - semi desert - 6,000 feet elevation - use Chop Saver or pure lanolin

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And wet them often with your tongue, one of the more important physiological functions of the tongue... speech of course is the most important function served by the tongue and that ain't lip service.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Learn from our Chicago friend. Wind. Wind is our lips worse enemy. First protect your lips from the wind, then try to use balms and ointments if still needed. I follow Chris Botti's ideal he related in an interview posted on this forum, where when asked if he uses lip balm, he answered never as he does not want anything to get between his face and his horn. Balm takes the bit out of what healthy lip tissue can provide for you when pressed against metal. Again, I use my tongue to wet my lips, as God had intended.