Trial Trumpet Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Aug 1, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Has anyone here ever taken trial lessons from a trumpet teacher (or teachers) before commiting to a teacher and if so what and how were the results?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've never committed to anyone, but then I'm an "old man" of 47 and I don't think I need regular lessons to play in the community band. I have scheduled lessons to address certain things I have trouble figuring out myself, though.

Tom

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I consider all lessons to be on a trial basis when starting out (whether I"m the teacher or the student). It takes time to get to know whether you can work with a teacher or student, whether you can give/get what you need from them, etc.

bigtiny

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Good question, and good answers. I would pick the one I thought I would like the best (could do me the most good) and try them first. If everything clicks keep taking lessons from him/her until you feel it's time to stop or move on.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I haven't done that, but if you think about it, you can end them at any time you are not happy, true? There is no contract involved or commitment to sign either.
    Let it be known up front, however, that you will not stay indefinitely with the teacher.:-)

6. chierholzer

chierholzer New Friend

May 31, 2012
    Chicago
    I used to teach private lessons at a music store. I did quite a few trial lessons. Usually for 1 lesson, occassionaly people would try for a month. I would encourage you to try a few different teachers. Some people you just click with and others you don't. Make sure the teacher listens to what you want to learn. The biggest complaint I would get from a new student is that the last teacher did not do what they requested, but just followed their own agenda. Just remember you are the one paying.

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I agree with the above comments. Everyone knows that personalities need to click together for progress to be made. You will know intuitively who matches the best for you.

8. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I appreciate the advice from each of you and I'm an upfront type of person who is excellent at reading people and I won't hesitate to end lessons should something go wrong.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sometimes things can go wrong and it doesn't mean you should stop with that person and try another. This can happen if you aren't really proactive and clear about what your goals are and how much time you have to work on your material between lessons. So be up front and make sure the teacher understands.
    It is also a good idea to ask them to play for you (if they don't volunteer) so you know if they produce a sound and style which you can emulate.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree with pretty much all the advice here. I'm taking a drum lesson on Monday from someone who tours in the summer with a famous musician. By all accounts, among those of my musician friends who know her, she's a great teacher. Even so, I consider the lesson a trial one. I'm hoping it will work well between us. I always go into the first lesson with hope but no expectations.

Turtle