Tribute to President Reagan....Digital Taps?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by jcmacman, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    I watched the begining of the NBA playoffs last night on ABC and they had a tribute to President Reagan. During the tribute thay had the playing of Taps. The bugler looked like he was playing a over sized bugle, almost like a fluglehorn in size. The sound sounded mechanical and cheap. Anyone else notice this?

John

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I'm not an NBA fan -- in fact I watch very little TV. But how hard is it to find someone to play taps?

Everyone should support Bugles Across America for this reason!
    http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

Jim

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    I didn't see or hear the bugler play taps for Reagan, but I do know that the buglers at Arlington do not use mechanical bugles. For a fallen president, there will be a live bugler.

4. pushtrumpet

pushtrumpet New Friend

Imagine the tension, hitting all the right notes while the eyes and ears of the world are on you. Good luck to the taps player!

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    On the other hand, think of the honor! That would help you get through it.

Jim

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    There is no doubt about that. But why couldn't the NBA find a bugler? They didn't look very hard -- but yet they found a machine. Geez, hire a bugler!

Jim

7. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I'll be praying for that bugler. I still remember hearing a recording of the one who played Kennedy's funeral. I had to feel for him even though I heard it 35 years after he played it.

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    There's a whole display at Arlington about that bugler. Many people say that that cracked note was symbolic. I don't remember all the details, but hearing the recording just sends chills up my spine. Not because of a cracked note or whatever, but because it sounds so sincere.

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Many people aren't brass players.