Tricks on the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Serge_187, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Serge_187

Serge_187 New Friend

Sep 30, 2007
    I joined the Marching Band this year at my High School. I've been playing in bands before, but I mostly do jazz and concert and am not a big fan of the marching aspect of marching band. I'm trying to squeeze as much fun out of it as I can. Anyway, my section leader wants to put me on a solo later this semester. I watch bands' halftime shows all the time, and many times trumpet players have some kind of gimmick or signature at the end of a solo. For example, when my section leader finishes a solo, he flips his trumpet and holds the bell of it to his mouth and blows on it, kind of like a smoking gun, and it just looks so cool to finish off a solo like that. I just want to get some ideas of other cool things to do with your trumpet at the end of a solo. Would you guys list some things?

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    well there was the case where this trombone player in an orchestra wanted his mute to fly through the air at the end of the last tune so he packed it full of fire crackers.

but I guess he didn't realize that the trombone tubing was a direct route to his lips. I wouldn't recommend that one come to think of it. ;-)

3. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    Ever watch American Idol? Ever notice the people with "gimics" never get in? lol

Impress them with your playing and you'll be twice as better off than some lame trick.

I've thought of pulling out a pocket trumpet and playing on that once, since I doubt anyone in my town has even heard of anything like a C trumpet, hell, they 'wow'ed when I played the Flugelhorn - our instructor had to introduce it to a crowd. Besides, there's nothing like pulling a trumpet out of your pants.

Moral of the story - play great, don't be a comedian. :p

4. Serge_187

Serge_187 New Friend

Sep 30, 2007
    point taken, but I don't plan on relying on the trick, it's just something to top off the solo; kind of like accessories to an outfit, not necessary, but cool to have.

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I've tried turning my trumpet around in circles using the 3rd slide hook.... but all i managed to do was to send my mouthpiece flying on my friend's sax bell :)

Since then, I just dance :D

6. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    A casual nod and a tip of your hat is a very classy, effective way to cap off a solo. It's not very showy, but I've seen a fair amount of people do it and it always looks awesome. Less is more in this case.

If you wanna go the trumpet spinning route, there's a good consistent way to do it. You'll need a first valve slide saddle/ring for this. Put your left ring finger in the third valve slide ring. Then put your right thumb in the first valve slide saddle/ring. To spin the horn, make sure that said finger and thumb are the only digits in contact with the horn. Pull your other fingers back so that they won't touch any part of the horn when it spins. Move your hands in a circle, with the bell moving towards you. The difference between this technique and just using the third valve slide is that, with both your hands on the horn, you have almost complete control of it. If you do it right, there shouldn't be any chance of the slides coming out. Just make sure the mouthpiece is in securely. This is the same technique that the Santa Clara Vanguard trumpets used in '03, if you're familiar with that show.

Good luck!

7. melkor24601

melkor24601 New Friend

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas, USA
    Does your band wear gloves? If so, peel one of your gloves off after the solo & toss it at the cheerleaders. If none of them dive for it, you didn't play well enough.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The coolest thing that I do with my trumpet after kicking ass, is to put it back in the case.............................

Check out You Tube for Maynard Ferguson. He did some VERY cool things after smoking the rest of the band!

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Lol, play well and you won't need a "signature closer". A sidenote on the trumpet spinning.... PLEASE don't overdo it. It is a great way to bend the third valve tubing if not done correctly.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Passing out always worked for me...