Tricks that changed my playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by botahoratiu, Nov 8, 2014.

1. botahoratiu

botahoratiu Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2009
    Romania
    Hi
    After more than 14 years of trumpet playing as an amateur, I have incirporated in my playing something that changed my high register ability and also my flexibility. I am shure that most of you know about the Donald S. Reinhardt/David Wilken 's ''pivot'' system. Yes, I know it isn't really a pivot, but just so to speak ... I found that I am a ... let's see... I think a IIIB. So I've descovered that I have to pull down together to ascend and to pull up togheter to descend and a bit to the left in both cases as my central incisives are crooked uneven. This made my upper register much, much easier as well as my lower notes below the staff. Also, when in the upper register, I think of blowing up in the upper part of the cup in the mouthpiece, and when in the lower notes, I blow lower. I know this might not be the actual things going on in there but I use this as it works wonders when playing.
    Today I had a brassband rehearsal ... not a long one but almost 1 hour... and in the end I was able to play a high F after some up-an-octave measures. I have also practiced and fooled around for about 30 min before that rehearsal . I am now playing on a GR 65C*#2bb wich isn't a ''cheater mouthpiece'' and I am very pleased with this.
    I know that this might be true for me in particular only, but maybe someone will find this information helpful in their playing.
    Be blessed,
    Horatiu

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success is measured in months and years.

Reinhardt remains controversial. Good luck!

3. botahoratiu

Jan 12, 2009
    Romania
    That's why I sad it is a particular experience but may help others too. It just seems to work for me.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let us know in about 6-9 months how you are doing. I don't have doubts or hope. It just would be interesting to hear about one "embouchure" success story that lasted for more than a month. I have been teaching for almost 40 years and know of no "cold turkey" switches that ever worked - only blah, blah the first couple of weeks.

The only successful embouchure changes that I have ever experienced were the result of evolution, not revolution. Months and years.

Good luck!

5. botahoratiu

Jan 12, 2009
    Romania
    I surely respect that but I do believe that if one works for years in a wrong direction then he won't have success. That is what I have descovered in my playing. I don't want to call it an embouchure change because it really isn't. I can't play any double c's because I don't have the necessary practice but I now can play notes that in the past were very difficult for me in a much easier manner. I am just an amateur trumpet player who searched for more than 14 years without taking lessons and without any school of music. I've been through many ups and downs and I have written down many of the possible causes and tried to find the main cause for bad/good playing. I have lived also many disappointed periods in life through different playing techniques so I think I know what I am experiencing right now.