Trigger Install

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, May 23, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I'm trying to buy a rotary trumpet.
    But I think this hooter needs a friend.
    A 3rd trigger.
    Does anyone know who can fit a 3rd trigger?

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Any competent repair tech should be able to.

Kujo

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not all trumpets can be fitted with slide triggers inexpensively. Some may also require exchange of the slide sleeve from inside to outside vis such may require a custom re-manufacture of the slide. Not all "competent repair techs" can do this!

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    True enough, I admit. However I still think some of the very well known techs could get it done without too many problems.Just look at the type of innovations Ivan Hunter is implementing on some of his horns!

Other techs that come to mind are Josh Landress, Mike Del Quadro, Charlie Melk...all are masters of the craft.

You know, now that I think about it, perhaps I should have said "any competent horn maker"....because everybody I just mentioned is not only a repair tech but a horn maker as well..... Thanks for the correction Ed!

Kujo

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Triggers can be installed on slides regardless of the slide configuration. Reversed, student style, no problem. Really most every tech can do this. I've put them on Bach strads and pro horns and I've even put them on student horns like olds ambassadors and getzen 300, all using largely the same parts with little to no modifications.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The OP is asking about a rotary trumpet. These do not have inner and outer reversed slides. There is a knob connected to the slide crook which is moved by a thumb operated, spring loaded rod mounted in a tube running along the valve slides. To retrofit these is a very simple modification.

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I asked Charlie Melk and it would be around 150~170 USD.
    YUk! I thought it would cost maximum 100 USD.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    That is a very reasonable price, I was charging $150 per hour 10 years ago for consulting time. Compare with what my Dr charges, $408/hour or my Solicitor $475/hour and neither will give a warranty on their work.

Regards, Stuart.

9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Did you ask Mr. Ivan?