Trigger maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Jun 19, 2010.

1. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I just bought a new Jupiter YCR-1220 cornet at Chuck Levin's tonight....having a lot of fun with it, sounds great!

This is my first horn with a trigger (has first slide trigger), so I'm a little curious about it: What maintenance does a trigger need? Should it be oiled often, maybe with a couple drops of valve oil?

Next question: is there a "correct" way to hold the first slide trigger? I naturally have my left thumb on the trigger, which is taking some getting used to, since I use my thumb to balance the horn in my hand, but now I cant keep my thumb tight on the valve casing anymore. A trumpeter from the community band told me you are supposed to hold the trigger with your right thumb, which is totally akward for me. I cannot do that, I just wondered if there is a "correct" way?

2. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    I use my left thumb as well. The right thumb would cause a quite unnatural shift in embochure.

Key oil will keep it working right, valve oil is too thin.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you use synthetic lubricants, a drop once every quarter is enough. If you use petroleum based oil, maybe once a month.

Which thumb you use is up to you. They both work when you practice with them.

4. etc-etc

etc-etc New Friend

Apr 29, 2009
    1. Drop a little Alisyn oil into the place where the spring curls around the trigger axis. This will help to make tha action more smooth.

2. As the trigger mechanism prevents easy removal of the slide, the deep end of the slide may get less lubrication than in a ring or hook setup.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010