trigger trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 13, 2009.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only horn I own with a 1st valve trigger is my Getzen 900H. I rarely use it but keep it working just in case. I use 3rd valve ring for low C# and that's all. Everything else is lipped if needed.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Generally, there is less chance of a mechanical breakdown if you lip the notes into tune .... Or, not? :lol:

Turtle

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm not too picky. I can deal with either. However, when I get my custom shop Taylor before too long I'll be getting rings...

Kujo

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It's always a 1-poster that dredges up some 2-3yo thread just to say "I agree!" ??

I got a divorce, so my permanent liar attachment is disconnected. The lyre on my trumpet still works fine.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I know it may sound like I'm trigger happy, but if the ring is working well on a trumpet, it's a tossup and I wouldn't really prefer one over the other (ring or trigger). But, overall, I only have two ringed horns that work that well...

My Getzen Severinsen, for example, has a 3rd slide valve and ring that has always worked beatifully and the little plastic "stop rod" works great too. While I'm at it, the balance of the Severinsen is as good as my Recording, I think, and that helps a lot to make the 3rd slide work so easily. And my Conn 8B Artist, which has a very nice stop rod, has always worked easily.

Stella (Conn 10B) has a fixed ring, but is hard as heck to get moving, and it's not in a good place for my fingers. .... and my Eastman 420g has a 3rd slide that moves way too easily and, if the little "stop" screw isn't screwed in, can go flying right off the trumpet (which it has, more than once). I'm planning on having the tech work on the 10B, but I don't like the Eastman enough to do anything about it (other than designate it my travel trumpet).

Turtle

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    My first experience with triggers was long ago when I had just started taking trumpet lessons. My teacher had just acquired an Olds Mendez which had triggers on the first and third slides. One day when he had been pleased with my progress he allowed me to take the lesson using his Mendez. It was too early to worry about tone adjustment using slides so I never got to use them. My impression and from what I've read here, most including myself prefer rings and saddles. My flugle has a third slide trigger which I use and as most flugles seem to have that trigger I wonder how many use it?:-?

7. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I like my Recording trigger. I did not at first - kept scraping my finger on the mechanism. Plus my brain took a while to change direction. Now I go with either just fine.

As for the problem with returning once the valve is back up - one could put a small hole in the valve body to relieve the pressure. A Xeno I previously owned was set up that way.

And the issue of no stop for the ring - I solved that with my leather valve cluster wrap (not sure what it is really called - valve protector?) and a short piece of ribbon tied to the ring.

I don't know how else one would do a flugel other than a trigger. And I do use the 3rd slide trigger. I never could wrap my brain around the 1st slide mechanism - trigger or saddle or ring.

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    wouldn't be a helluva lot easier to play a little flat or sharp?

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Are you talking about lipping the notes, or just playing them as they lay on the horn?

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have a 1st valve trigger and I love it. The only reason I would get a trumpet without a 1st valve trigger is if it was a Taylor with Phat rings.