Trill question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CJB, May 9, 2010.

1. CJB

CJB New Friend

Feb 17, 2008
    I have one B-flat cornet that consistently does not sound right when I trill between E and F on the staff. (open to first valve). It's a half-step trill so easy enough in general. I have other cornets and trumpets and it comes out fine.

On this one otherwise excellent horn, it's OK if I keep the trill slow but as I speed it up just sounds like a mishmash rather than a clean trill. I've tried different mouthpieces, adjusting the slides, I've even had the valves aligned to no avail. This horn also trills well on other notes, even between open to first valve; it's just between E and F that it does not sound clean.

I'm perfectly willing to believe it's me, but I just can't square that with the fact I have no problem with this trill on other horns.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or have thoughts?

Thanks,
    CJB

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It doesn't have to be you. It is possible that due to the specific design of THAT instrument, that certain notes are not as "efficient". Sometimes a mouthpiece with a different backbore can help, less often a valve alignment.

I have this situation on some of my instruments - mostly those where the 4th line D and 4th space Eb/E are too flat. My workaround: play the E 1+2 and trill the second valve. I suspect the design problem is in the leadpipe or tuning slide - can't be easily remedied.

3. CJB

CJB New Friend

Feb 17, 2008
    You are good.

By switching to the alternate fingering for E (1-2) I was able to trill cleanly.

Thanks,
    CJB

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, YOU are good. You have worked it out. I just presented a concept.

Alternate fingerings are a very useful thing that we should have learned doing lipslurs. Quite often, we just banged them out and didn't pay attention to the many possibilities..............

5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Obviously you can't do it in this instance, but I always prefer to find the appropriate alternate fingerings to allow me to lip trill whenever possible. For me it works much better.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    On most instruments the distance from the open e to f is more than a half-step. The 12 fingering makes it less than a half step, and that makes it easier. A g to a trill above the staff is often made easier by playing the g 13 and the a 3.

Fun stuff, huh?