Trip to Dillon Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 27, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Today I went to Dillon music to try a piccolo trumpet. I went interested in a Sherzer. When I got there I played two of them, one that I really liked.

I tried to use a B15M mouthpiece but it wouldn't fit in the lead pipe. The sales guy got a Monette piccolo mouthpiece and it just barley fit. I suppose if I bought the trumpet I would have to send it to the Monette shop and have one made.

The sound was beautiful and the rotary valves were very fast. I almost bought it but it wasn't that much better then my Selmer.

I also played a Schilke or 3 different Schilkes. They all played well but the sound was too bright for me.

This is what I don't understand:

On my Selmer and the Scherzer the high F was sharp. When I played the Schilke the high F was flat.
    I also took my Blackburn lead pipe out of my Selmer and used it in the Scherzer and it played well, is this something that is customary or am I missing the boat by not having the correct mouthpiece for the trumpet?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    B15M,

What I recommend to you is what I've done on my Semer and that is to use one of Dave's lead mouthpieces. They're wonderful but you'll have to see which one works for you. I bought three: one for Bright Seraphim type stuff, one for solos, and another for Brandenburg, Michael Haydn type things.

I tried the regular picc mouthpieces of his but they seemed to work best on the horns for which they were designed. However, other people have tried them on their conventional piccs and have been happy, so, mine is just another way to go. I posted about this, I think, when I did that Brandenburg recently.

I haven't been able to play my old conventional picc mouthpieces either since using Dave's stuff either, for what it's worth. It's too much work.

Good luck,

ML

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :D manny mo, u da macaroonie wit da cheese!
    Have u ever heard of a kerstin pocket trumpet?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    And you da foam in de cappucino, amigo.

I don't know that horn.... I'll keep an ear out.

Be good,

ML

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Funnily enough thats what I did when I had the Selmer pic.
    I used a B4L and it worked great.
    Now I only have the F besson I need a mouthpiece with a cornet shank and I have not found a Monette one i thought might be suitable as it boils down to the AP range.

I need to narrow it down as I get them on approval and am a long way from the shop.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I tried to buy the piccolo but I got an email saying it was sold.
    It must have not been meant for me.