Triple D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    It's kind of amazing!!! He is a freak of nature..:-)

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It is so cool that it gets almost depressing...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hej Jon,

I really believe that you could do exactly the same thing. I know that I am my own greatest enemy when it comes to not being tense.

I have devoted a couple of sessions in the last couple of weeks to low impact high range. It does work. Nick Drozdoff had some interesting exercizes on his website about a year ago that I am playing with now. It is way too early to tell, but it makes sense to me. I just play higher but let my sound get thinner instead of trying to "force" a big sound. I think the key will be keeping from "squeezing off" at the extreme top end. Once the lips are supple and cooperative and my breathing is synchronized, triple D should be around the corner........

4. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Heil Rowuk...haha:-)

Hej is swedish but you was close...Hei!!

This sounds interesting! Is the exercices still available on his site? Or can I read about it somewhere? I have nice range, but triple D would be very fun to do. I looking for some new exercices these days, starting to practice in january! I have now used my former exercices for over ten years, need something new! And this sounds very interesting.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is a good start:
    YouTube - Hi Gear Lo Gear

For more you should PM Nick or arrange a lesson.

6. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Thank's rowuk! Interesting...:-)

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This all confirms what I have been finding whilst adopting the David Monette Body Centered approach - essentially a relaxed posture, I suppose - as I achieve proficiency with Monette's ideas so my range lifts, stabilises, and is more easily sustainable. Or is it in my head - again? :-(

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ted,
    a little talent is also required. That is the part that the snake oil vendors conveniently forget.

All this high note stuff doesn't work without talent. There isn't much work for trumpet players in tea kettle simulation.

gbdeamer likes this.
  9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Triple Ds may make D'Bears to fall from trees...on your head. But if you are relaxed you won't care ROFL

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :think:Thinks, oh OK - I get it, very amusing :lol:.

As to talent Robin, I've almost accepted that I haven't any - but I still very much enjoy murdering trumpet music with friends. :roll: