Triple D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Nov 27, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is for all of you that have not yet learned the names of the notes.
    Octaves start with C. High C is 2 ledger lines above the staff. The double octave starting with C is an octave higher. Here is a player that can really play these notes - not only in the practice room. Notice the thick lips. he uses the equivalent of a Bach 1 1/4E mouthpiece.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbkU_JpeuM

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    That's pretty darned impressive.

I think the thing that throws people (especially younger people) is that technically, the A on top of the staff isn't "high A", even though it *feels* very high to most younger players.

To avoid this sort of confusion, whenever I need to talk about any note's position, I always refer to it by its position - "C in the staff" "Top space Eb" "D below the staff" etc. It seems to help.

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Dang!

4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Awww yeah! I know all about this guy! Dude takes super long solos w. Dave Matthews Band and doesn't even really start whaling until the end then just stays up there. I can't imagine having power and endurance like that, blows my mind....

5. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Maaaaan.

That should be illegal or something. Dog abuse, right? Thanks for the share, Rowuk.

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    This man, his tone is incredible, i mean in the runs he was doing. it was just fantastic to listen to. love it, love it. and then, huge high notes. Holy crap. im gonna go down load DMB now. Stunning.

7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    So, A on the staff is "low A?" What is A below the staff? Double low-A? "A in the hole?"

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

a on the staff is "a on the staff" or "second space a"

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Those notes were great, but who cares when it follows some great Clifford style bebop lines. Those are what really sound great.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    !THAT! Brek is the muscal message for the first weekend in Advent 2009!

I was just trying to put this HIT crap in perspective. We do not HIT notes that we own, we play them. This guy can play a bebop line in that octave. He has worked hard to get there. He is VERY relaxed when playing those notes!