Triple D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Nov 27, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Both of these approaches would be entirely clear, and would take only a small amount of repetition (for A0, A1, . . .) to become second nature.

Good communication means making sure that what you said is "properly decoded" by the receiver. Granted there is little you can do at times, but when unambiguous nomenclature are assigned, you have great chance for success.

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    nordlandstrompet: Thank you for this simple and concise illustration. :thumbsup:

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But nordlandstrompet,

What is written in your post as Bass C is a pedal tone (on the trompet).

V

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I don't think there is nearly as much dispute about what the C's are called . . . it's the notes between the C's that are causing arguments.

5. Woltjer

Woltjer New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a friend that hits double B (using a tuner to measure). It does not sound like he is actually playing it, rather squeaking into his trumpet.

6. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I take it that the 4 open notes He is playing are:
    1) High C, 2) Double High C, 3) Triple High C, 4) Triple High D

I've never played a High C. 18 months ago I thought I had, as during my final practice routine when I'm warmed up I play open notes from C below the staff as far as can get. Most times I get to the limit of my range which is G just above the staff, sometimes I got the next open note which I assumed to be High C. However when I used a Korg tuner this highest open note turned out to be a concert Ab (Bb trumpet)

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Please..........someone show me some music in that range!
    Wilmer

8. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Trumpet golfer: you are correct that the note you hit was a Bb, that is the next open not in the harmonic series. It's not in tune and kinda hard to play if you are used to playing that upper octave. Keep playing that note and someday you'll hit the high c.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have never understood the fuss about this register! SHOW ME THE MUSIC!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I agree with you, man. It's more of a sideshow type of thing to me. I can't play up there, but I can't swallow swords either. I get along just fine without either. I think the highest note I've ever run across written in a piece was an A above high C on a big band chart (on 4th part, no less!). I'm sure higher written music exists, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009