Triple D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    Maynard Ferguson became famous playing high notes for Stan Kenton.
    Bill Chase became famous playing high notes for Woody Herman.
    Bud Brisbois became famous playing high notes for Henry Mancini.
    Cat Anderson became famous playing high notes for Duke Ellington.
    Lin Biviano became famous playing high notes for Buddy Rich.
    Dave Stahl became famous playing high notes for Woody Herman.

And there are plenty of high register trumpeters today,
    such as Eric Miyashiro and Wayne Bergeron,
    who earn a nice living doing studio work, soundtracks, freelance, Broadway,
    in places like Los Angeles, Branson, New York.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wilmers point still applies.

Yes, high notes played by masters is impressive. No, you do not find these notes written in the score, they are freely improvised, or added to the ends of phrases - often in the hands of the testosterone driven with unkown outcome.......................

Generally, we have to separate the pubescent distraction from the professional attraction. Christmas is coming, and during the school break, one of the greatest gifts will be the freedom of noise pollution. As the saying goes, make a "joyful noise unto the Lord". Nobody was talking about squeak.

3. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    The famous high register players I listed had their parts written an octave up (or more) in the charts while they were playing in other people's big bands.

For example

"but with the recordings of Woody's band, you can hear the difference Chase made in the book when he joined. Suddenly, the opening of Apple Honey is up an octave (starting on Double C)."
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f133/era-scream-trumpet-playing-22212.html

And Maynard Ferguson playing all of "Hot Canary", from the beginning of the song, up an octave for Stan Kenton, a recording which is absolutely amazing because it shows Maynard's stamina to stay up there the entire song

Dailymotion - Hot Canary - Maynard Ferguson - une vidéo Comédie et Humour

http://maynard.ferguson.net/addicts.html

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache..."hot+canary"+maynard&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The handful of gifted musician who can make music in the extreme upper register have a rare tool in their arsenal so they find or create ways to use it. Eventually, because of their reputation and abilities, other people might write extreme parts for them.

The plethora of other trumpet players who can scream, but not make music up there (or anywhere else, usually. And lets face it, if you can't make music in one register, you probably can't make it in another either), go to ITG's and annoy everyone, then go home and scream away in the privacy of their own home, away from any innocent bystanders.

To work as a trumpet player, you need a good upper register, but not a super-human one. Those that have the super-human chops and can make music (in every register) get work. Those that can only scream and are bad musicians don't get work. It's a fairly simple situation. I don't get what the argument is about.

5. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    just listened to Hot Canary. Man I just dont get it. I dont enjoy hearing all those high notes, especially hearing it all the way through a song. It doesnt sound good to me. On a road trip, my friend and his dad popped in a Maynard Big Band CD. All I heard was "Man that dude is a freak" and "I wish I could play like that". I just smiled and nodded. 12 tracks of that just wears on me. I cant listen to it. Sorry...I'll stick to Miles thank you. :dontknow:

6. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    "Hot Canary" was a novelty song.
    When Maynard played "They Way Were" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" up an octave 20 years later he played them with beauty, grace.

I think be-bop is boring and rap is irritating.

Everyone has different musical tastes.
    There is no reason that you and I and someone else should have to like the same music.
    We all have different hearts that resonate with different music.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Bud Brisbois became famous playing high notes for Henry Mancini.

Bud became famous in my head when he played the theme tune to the Jetsons. It is superb, accurate playing.
    Might I also add. What is the purpose of this session? It is a guy test driving a mouthpiece to see its capabilities. If you put me in a ferrari and gave me two laps, I doubt I'd drive slowly and admire the view. I am not a lover of high note playing but I do not believe you can judge the guys musical ability in the high range from watching a test drive.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009