Triple T

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, May 2, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    What do you say when you triple tongue? :huh:

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    t-t-k. I honestly don't know if I say tu or ta or too or whatever. I think it probably changes based on the situation, style, note length and so forth.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It sounds as though the poster is learning or trying to learn to triple tongue. If so then get in the Arban book read page 154 and start working on page 155 and forward for the next 20 pages. The next thing he should do if he wants to cut down on the amount of time to learn this is to get with a good teacher. The last thing is practice, practice, practice.

4. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    I say tkt ktk tkt ktk. This method is taught in the Irons book. It is the same as double tongue but with a triplet inflection. I like this because whether I'm practicing double or triple, I'm practicing both.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    This is how I do it:
    tkt tkt tkt tkt
    The "t's" are struck with the tip of the tongue and the "k" is struck with the middle or back of the tongue.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    So do I : tkt tkt ... Easier for me than ttk ttk ... that some others prefer. Final result is the same.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Depends on whether it is a long triple tongue passage (ttk ttk) or a single group, in which case I do tkt t... for a strong "landing" like in Mahler 5 or tkt k... if more speed is required and some others (trombones etc) are joining on the landing note.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Dupac sez:
    So do I : tkt tkt ... Easier for me than ttk ttk ... that some others prefer. Final result is the same.
    ------------------------
    Great question!
    When we play a note (eighth, quarter, half, whole ect.) it is just a note. It takes the next series of notes to create a rhythm. With triplets you have a situation where three notes are joined to create a rhythm.
    I will play triplets for students(using tkt) to get the sound of the rhythm in their ears and have students to listen to recordings of people doing triple tonguing.
    I'm a big believer in "If you can't hear it, you can't do it".
    The difference between the two types? Trumpetplus gave very good advice on this with his discussion on how the last note 'lands".
    I would recommend listening to people doing triple tonguing and work on your hard consonant sounds.
    Here's a visual:
    Cup your hand. Your fingers will represents the tip of the tongue and the butt of the hand as the back of the tongue.
    Place your other hand just above but not touching the cupped hand. Now, with the cupped hand rock it up and down from the wrist. You'll notice that the tip of the fingers and the butt of the hand are the two areas that strike the hand that's just above the cupped hand.
    Of course the hand above represents the roof of your mouth and the cupped hand represents the basic shape and striking of the tongue
    It is those two areas (tip of the tongue and the back of the tongue) that strikes or enunciates the hard consonant sounds. Just hang in there and practice it a little every day. You cn even go around the house saying tkt or ttk to get use to it.
    Training the tongue is a tough job but you can do it.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thanks Markie ! I gave also my full attention to Trumpetsplus'
    contribution ... I now understand that ... final result is NOT the same !
    66 years old and already so many things to learn ! :oops:

10. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    da da ga da da ga da da ga...