Triple T

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, May 2, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For me it's almost always TKT-TKT-TKT, but if the situation calls for it, I can switch to TTK-TTK-TTK.

Ultimately I don't think it matters much most of the time - I use TKT-TKT because it comes off of the tongue better for me than TTK-TTK. Really the only difference is the start point and where within the triplet the 'K' lands - otherwise you still wind up with the syllables falling in the same order.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It probably matters only to the extent dictated by the context. My teacher is having me work on Arban's characteristic#5 and triple tongue the triplets ttk. I found it somewhat easier than I expected, having virtually no practice of triple tonguing behind me.

Another thing to consider is the syllable. In Arban, it says tutuku. It's important to realize that the French U sound does not exist at all in English and is nothing like the English U, or OO. The good thing about the French U is that it naturally leads to a pucker, and, of course, pucker is better (I'm just discovering that and, boy, am I glad).

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I was taught to use du-du-gu. The point is to keep all the syllables as far in the front of the mouth as possible.

4. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Cool thanks, yah I use tkt tkt and I was just wondering if I was doing it wrong haha.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    It is wrong if it sounds wrong and is difficult to play.

6. tylertrumpet

tylertrumpet New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    South Dakota
    I use tu-tu-ku if I want shorter, more staccato notes. If I want smoother, more legato notes I use da-da-ga.

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I say tugudu tugudu tugudu...

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter needs it all! D, G, T, L, R and e, i u o. Forget limiting yourself. Separate yourself from those that don't speak clearly through the horn!

When we communicate with other people, we have a HUGE inventory of vowels, consonants and inflection. What makes you think that a trumpet deserves less.

9. tylertrumpet

tylertrumpet New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    South Dakota
    Nicely put rowuk. On a further note, what do you believe to be the biggest advantages/disadvantages of using a TTK/DDG tonguing as opposed to a TKT/DGD tonguing or vice versa?

Personally I use the TTK/DDG because I feel like I have better control of the first note of the triplet. Since the last note in the sequence is done with the back of the tongue it allows me to set up the front of the triplet.
    Also, say for instance the last note of the triplet is accented. I find it easier to devote the K syllable to the accent. That way I dont fumble over which of the T notes to accent.

I did not realize that so many people used the TKT method.

Comments? Thoughts?

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I think the problem with TKT/DGD is that it can turn into duplets. If that is more comfortable, then it should be worked up to sound like triplets. Actually, like Rowuk said, we should be proficient with all of it. TKT has its purpose, even for those, like me, who use TTK.