triple tonging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 6, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I didn't keep up my triple tonging and now am having trouble getting it back.

I try to play exercises from Arban's every day. One day I start at the end and work backwards and one day start at the beginning and go forward. I don't do them all, I do a lot of them though.

I'm pretty good with the scales and chords, it's the simple stuff that I can't get. When I repeat the same note it sounds choppy or not even. If I slow it down everything is even. when I get fast it's tu tu ku.

Any ideas?

I've been back at it for about 2 months.

Please don't tell me to get a teacher.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A lot of tonguing problems are from a lack of air support. try thinking of blowing through the tongue. think "the air controls the tongue".

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Relax and say da da ga instead of tu tu ku. Think of legato triple tongueing until you get your airflow and tongue working together. Then you can harden those syllables and make a more focused attack. Relax and flow.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I like to practice multiple tounguing at three speeds. Slow (very slow, but with the tu-tu-ku articulation), medium (where you sound good) an fast (push it, even if it gets sloppy). I don't do much at the fast speed, but for me pushing it helps sort of unlock the tongue and keep everything flowing. It gets a little stiff sounding for me if it all gets too deliberate. Hope that helps.

5. BlackAngus

BlackAngus New Friend

Oct 7, 2009
    Washington
    I have been physically incapable of double or triple tongueing with the mouthpiece at my lips since 1973. I stopped playing at that time and have just recently returned to playing. The band teacher I had wasn't the best at teaching and really could care less if anyone got better or not.

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Just a few thoughts that might help

Practice off the horn alot. This helps you develop the coordination. Practice off the horn while driving, while walking, while watching T.V., etc.

Learn to use different articulation patterns both off the horn and on.

Use ( TTK, TTK, TTK ) also ( TKT, TKT, TKT ) and ( TKT, KTK, TKT ) the last pattern being double tongueing in triplets of course

Memorize a T.T. passage of something that you like and try and articulate it off the horn ( and later on the horn ) at different speeds and with the different patterns mentioned above. Be able to change patterns within the same phrase. Learn to make them all sound the same and at the same speed.

Try using different syllables - Tee Tee Kee, Du Du Gu, Ta Ta Ka, Too Too Koo, Ti Ti Kuh, etc.

Mix up the the syllables used in a phrase. For instance you might try and using the above order.

Last but not least - try to learn to T.T. fast, lightly, and connected and not percussive.

Hope this helps.

7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    You might try practicing the easiest exercises(Arban pg. 155 I think) with all single tongue first. At a slower speed of course. Then repeat it, at a slower speed, using just the K syllable. then practice it with the ususal Tu Tu Ku at a slow speed. Then gradually speed up all of them. This helps to strengthen the K portion of the Tu Tu Ku. Try to get the K sound to be as clear as your regular single tongue. It may take some time, but it did work for me. Good luck, I hope this helps.
    Bob

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    My double tongueing was never very good until I watched Eric Bolvin's video about K-tongue modified on Youtube. Mentally anchoring the tip of my tongue behind my bottom teeth helped me keep it under control. It may work for you. Search Youtube for "eric bolvin tongue".

9. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    B15M,
    the problem is when we get older, it takes longer to earn stuff back. I have been looking for the real reason, but guess that as the available brain cells fill up with experience, stuff not used gets pushed into a "near-on-line state".

I can only recommend what works for me: play VERY slow and perfect for a whole week, then only move up 10 BPM for the next week, repeat until you are where you want to be. Resist the urge to look for the "decent" limit. That is frustrating if you were much better years ago. When I need serious tonguing, I reserve a month or two. I am never frustrated because I train more than I look for the limits.