triple tonging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 6, 2009.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    B15M:

rowuk is exactly right: shoot for accuracy first...speed will follow. I'm 53 and getting back into it after 35 years of banjo picking and the same technique applies to playing bluegrass breaks quickly, start slow and work up to speed. Also, I have found that Sterling's "da-da-ga" technique works well for me.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm still working every day on this.
    I have been doing at least one exercise from Arban using only the ku tongue.
    I think this really helped. I think I have to get the ku as far forward as possible to get it really fast.

I have days now where it's fast and others where it feels like day one.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    B15M,
    I have days where I get up in the morning and am as stiff as a board. Other days I feel like I am 20 again.

I think the human body is all over the place. As we get older, we learn to live with that............

4. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Play small segments, rather than trying to do long ones. I would define any of the exercises in the Arban's book for triple tonguing as "long" for this piece of advice. Practice just a bar or two at a time and create a loop...

Play first all single tongued, sounding the way you want. Then repeat playing triple tongued. Make a loop out of this with a bar or two of rest in between.

If you have trouble tonguing with just the 'K' (or whatever you use...) syllable you could insert that into the loop too...

Personally I have found it better to avoid extremes of anything when learning to work on a new skill or problem. So that means, don't play too loud, too soft, too fast, too slow, too high, too low, etc...

For me, playing right "in the middle" is the easiest. So I alway start from there. Everyone will of course have their "middle" in their own personal "place" but it is the concept that I am talking about.

Think about it like your talking voice... you just "talk" you don't try to talk loud, or soft, or fast or slow... you just talk. That is the easiest level. You want to establish this "talking" level on the trumpet first and then it will be easier to expand from there. So find the most comfortable tempo, dynamic, and range for you and start there. That is "level 1". You don't try to move to "level 2" until "level 1" is pretty good.

MR

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Joe,

Working on it everyday can be part of the problem, you don't allow time to adapt and recover. Maybe do a 2 or 3 day block of it, then take a few days off from working that skill. Also make sure you are working the K only articulation and single tongue speed, as others have mentioned, I find those two are a big help.

One other trick I like to do is a pyrmid speed work out. Play the exercise 5 times at roughly 50% max tempo, then 4 times at 40% max, 3 times at 30% etc...then work your way back down.

Jason