Triple Tongue and slur combination

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I just tried this: go to the Arban book, p.155 #3. Slur the first 2 notes of the first triplet in each bar (so you're slurring across the third). What articulation pattern do you use to follow the slur? I found myself using a rather inconsistent alteration of ku (last note of first triplet) tu ku tu and tu tu tu ku and ku tu tu ku. (I was trying, on purpose, not to think about it to see what would happen). Which would most likely be used?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If I have you right, that amounts to the Scheherazade articulation. Not the famous one later on in the 4th movement but the one earlier in the same movement, the first entrance after the Vivo begins. If I read you right then I articulate that Ta-ha-ta-ta-ka-ta.

In the context of the Rimsky-Korsakov it would actually be Taa-ta ta-ka-ta. It's easiest for me and keeps it moving.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yes, that's it. Thanks, Manny. I tried that actively thinking ta-ha ta t k t.

The "ha" makes the third easier (especially that troublesome F to A); for some reason, t-k-t worked much better in that setting (I usually use t-t-k).

Thanks again!