Triple Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    So I have been wondering for a while now, the "correct way" to triple tongue.

For quite a while I have been triple tonguing: Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka...etc.

Do the syllables really matter, and if so, why?

Ex.) Tu, Ta, Du, Da,..etc

And also, should it really go Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka...etc, like the Arban's book says to?

I have actually been trying to do this now for a week or so.

Does it make the triplets more even?

I emphasize the 2nd "Ta", just because it makes it seem easier.

Or is it the correct way to always emphasize the 1st "Ta"?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Genesis3003

Genesis3003 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2008
    North Dakota
    I have always heard that you should use the syllable that works best for you. I personally use du-ga-du, and it works really well for the Enesco Legend, for me anyway. Either way you do it, it isn't likely that the audience will hear which syllable you are using through the horn. I have no idea about the emphasis though.

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I tend to do your way, which my teacher doesn't like, but it comes a little faster than the other way, in which the first ta for some reason comes hesitant.

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    During practice I like to really mix it up. Trying to make the T and the K as even as possible, so that there is no discernible difference. For example, Clarke's study #7 works really well for this
    TTT-TTT
    KKK-KKK
    KTK-TKT
    TKT-KTK
    TKT-TKT
    TKT-KTK
    TTK-TTK

I don't think much about the syllable. Though I suppose for stacatto I'm using TaKa and for legato I'm using DuGu.

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    My advice from my own experience:
    Don't ever let a teacher modify what you're doing unless you have a problem doing it. If the old way of tonguing feels natural and you're doing well at it, keep improving on what you're already doing. I was always a very good tonguer, but I had other areas that needed work. One day my teacher had me switch to this 'modified-k' approach'.. It really made it difficult for me and it wasn't neccessary.

Like Claude Gordon says, when you learned to talk did you worry about where your tongue was or how your embouchure was shaped? You just let the words come out naturally.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter wants it all. We MUST have T,K,D,G,R,L as syllables with A,E,I,O,U as vowels in our palette of articulations. I use both TTK and TKT for triple tonguing. It really depends on the musical context.

Don't settle for cheap. Practice the whole thing. Think about reciting a poem, how many shades do you need to express the context?

8. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    I agree. You should eventually be able to do all the different combinations of syllables. My usual advice for students is to start with whichever one works the best for you, and then you add the others as you are able.