Triple tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kiddo, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    I do not get how people are able to start off (without warmups or anything) triple tonguing at phrases spanning close to 20 or even more notes at one go, while maintaining that clean, 'bubbly' tone of tonguing.

I've heard some ppl mentioning on TM before, the technique becomes 'inherent' once you mastered it, and you can do it as and when you want to. Well, I can only do so for double tonguing...but never for triple.

Been practicing for over 5 months now, I could triple tongue at pretty fast speeds, but I need to keep running phrases over and over again, before I can get geared up at the particular tempo. Else, I'd be tonguing too harshly (striking with too much strength) or I'd be cutting notes up into distinct triplets instead of an even phrasing throughout. And it's becoming a very irritating problem whenever the piece I'm playing goes from a slow, mournful to a bullet-train-paced theme, and I'd flop miserably.

So any advice that I could use? Thanks.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    The best advice anyone can give you is threefold:
    1. Get a good teacher to help you with your triple tongue.
    2. Work in the Arban's starting on page 155.
    3. Practice, practice, practice. I mean to practice your multiple tonguing daily. If not you will lose it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The most common problem is trying to think about the tonguing procedure. If it ain't completely automatic, there will be "issues". The second most common problem is physicality. You need to tongue with so little movement and that only comes with natural talent or years of investment.

4. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Hi Kiddo,

Perhaps this will help. If you live in the Philadelphia area, I'm a former student of Mr. Burke and am accepting students.

YouTube - Triple Tonguing

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One key to tonguing is to relax and let your tongue "melt in your mouth."

6. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I second and third the suggestions of work with a teacher and PRACTICE!

Especially practice... start out slowly and on single groups if necessary. Slowly develop speed, and start putting groups together until you can do the pieces you want to do. Arban studies are good, as are some of the solos, like Carnival of Venice.

The William Lovelock trumpet concerto was very useful to me (for practicing) for both double (1st movement) and triple (third movement) tonguing.

BTW, I'm one of those wierdos that triple tongues TKT KTK TKT KTK TKT KTK etc. Others will disagree vehemently with this technique, but nobody has ever complained about uneveness in my multiple tonguing in roughly forty years of playing! ;-)

Guy Clark

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Guy,

Nothing weirdos about your take on triple tonguing - double tonguing is known to be prone to greater speed. However, I believe that there is a down side - if you want to accentuate certain on-beat notes it may be difficult to do that on a K articulation.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    One of the important things to do(for music) is to get the sound in your head. Listen to examples of people doing triple tonguing.
    If you can't hear it, you can't do it.
    Next go to the Arbans like someone already suggested and work slowly.
    While doing this exercise, you'll probably find the your sound as blatty and the tongue struggling, clumsy and stiff.
    Follow the advice that the tongue needs to be light and flexible(relaxed) and barely moves. The most important thing however is getting the sound of what triple tonguing sounds like in your head. If you can't hear it, you can't do it.

9. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    this is what I do, and it helps alot. Get "The Art of Double Tongueing" and "The Art of Triple Tongueing" (I may have spelt toungueing wrong) Both are written by William Vacchiano. Do get them, they help ALOT, just ya gotta stick with em and play EVERYTHING, Mainly what I can tell its good for, is that it aids you in the ability of changing notes while triple tongueing and all. You'll limit the flub ups with tongueing and fingerings, so yeah, its helped me sight reading and double/triple, plus it becomes a more natural thing, because of your repitition. (the books pretty much assumes you know how to double and triple)

10. Bugler

Bugler Banned

This method of articulation is highlighted in a book called "New Directions in Tonguing" by James F. Burke.