Triple tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Terrizzi

Terrizzi New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    Arban's says tu tu ku I think I was taught 26 years ago ta-ka-ta which seems a whole lot more natural to me. Some teach ta-ka-ta then ka-ta-ka which would require some more discipline for me to learn.

What do you teach?

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    ta-ka-ta ka-ta-ka sounds like double tounging to me only in a different packaging. If you use ta-ka-ta its probably because of 26 years of getting used to it. I was tought tu-tu-ku a long time ago and I believe that is the norm but to each his own. Best wishes.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    tu tu ku is the norm to use for triple tongue but ta ka ta , ka ta ka can be used also and depending on the situation (accents, phrasing etc..) can come in handy sometimes. I suggest practicing both methods so you have more options in your arsenal.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter wants it all!
    Tu tu ku is the "standard" way, tu ku tu-tu ku tu works also very well and if you have what it takes, tu ku tu - KU tu ku is fine, you just have to have enough control to accent the correct part of the beat. The audience could care less, so the best medicine is thousands of repetitions one way and once that way really works, develop plan "B".

5. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    If it can't be doubled I don't need to play it.