Tripple Tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mason, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I think many teachers would say that pupils who haven´t played more than a couple of months should save the tripple tounging exercises for later.

However, I know of at least one post were a VERY skilled teacher has stated that he lets his pupils practise multiple tounging right from the start, so you can simply go on doing these exercises.

The triple tounge is articulated Tah-Tah-Kah, where the A´s kan be exchanged for E´s, O´s, U´s etc. Furthermore the T´s can be exchanged for D´s and the K´s for G´s.
    The guy in the clip used the combination Tah-Dah-Kah.

In other words, the number of combinations is large, and when you add the fact that all T´s and D´s can be done in various ways, even with the tip of the tounge fixed at a point at your lower teeth or below them, the number of combinations is even larger.

It is therefore essential that you have someone qualified to help you a bit on the way, by listening and giving you feedback. I´m, of course, talking about a teacher.
    While waiting for a teacher, experimenting is OK. One will always learn something from that!

2. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    Yes, you can. But you will have to start off m-u-c-h s-l-o-w-e-r that the guy in the video does it. Then practice the technique every day. Don't speed up until your tonguing is clean, even, and accurate. Then increase your tempo in small increments. Use a metronome. You might first want to develop your double-tonguing in order to get the "ka" working for you. Don't be discouraged. The "ka" syllable will sound like crap at first, but with time and practice it will become cleaner and sound more like your "ta". Practice using the double- and triple-tongue excercises in the Arban book. It also helps if you have a teacher to guide you.

I speak from experience because I am currently learning triple-tonguing myself. As a comeback player who never learned it before, I now have the discipline to stick with practicing something that at first seemed impossible and now is working. When I was young I convinced myself that I just couldn't do it, but I gave up too easily. Now my challenge is to built speed so that I can cleanly triple-tongue faster than I can single-tongue. Not there yet!

3. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    well im still on single tounging

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I start my beginning students with double tonguing after 2 or 3 weeks and triple tonguing after a year. We use memorized scales as the medium: tutukututukutuuuuh for every note up and down the scale.

Players that have advanced too far have trouble because their brain expects a decent sound and a poorly trained tongue kills sound VERY quickly.

The secret is slow and soft - nothing else. Once habits are formed, then progres goes pretty rapidly.

I also do not graduately increase speed. we practice show until it is perfect then jump to a much faster speed, perfection then the next jump.

Gradually increasing keeps you on frustrations edge - completely unnecessarily!

5. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    well yer im not ready.

PS: look at my signature. Seen it anywhere?

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    For what it´s worth: this I also believe in!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mason, we've been here before - give it a go, you might just surprise yourself - triple tounguing has to start somewhere - be brave, jump in, it doesn't hurt and it doesn't matter if you get it wrong today, there is always tomorrow, or Sunday.

8. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer lol but i dont even know how to do it. I cant even do double tounge.

9. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Practice is all it takes.

And, I agree with rowuk. I didn't learn to do multiple tonguing until about a year ago. It was a pain because I would attempt to triple tongue and it would sound horrid, even with non-stop practice. Then my uncle who has been playing for, I don't even know how long, said to just play it soft and just keep putting air through my horn.