Tripple Tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mason, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer.. well generally trumpet is a hard instrument. I thought it would be easy because it only had 3 valves and i thought you just blow into it. But then when i got it for the first time i had to buzz for the first time and learn or the notes.... when notes can be played the same way but tighter lips (in some cases) So triple Tounging will eventually naturally comes to me. But im not ready for it.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mason or "ex" Hitman,
    the advice is simple: tu-tu-ku tu-tu-ku in perfect triplets = triple tonguing.

Either jump into the pool and learn to swim or walk away from tough stuff.

I start my students with multiple tonguing VERY early (3rd or 4th lesson). They do not feel a need to make excuses. We can discuss your findings after you have given it a go - it makes no sense to beat a theoretical horse to death.

Like the Nike ad says:

JUST DO IT!

3. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    ok please just call me mason!

I will give it ago tomorrow.

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Forgive me for disagreeing Rowuk, but i think it is a dangerous thing to introduce multiple tonguing until a good single tongue is achieved, or a superb teacher like yourself is overseeing the student.

I was taught to double and triple quite early on, and developed a slow lazy single tongue as a result. Recently, i joined band that requires me to double, and triple at 184 + using different articulations; as a result i have had to go back to the drawing board and develop a faster, cleaner single.
    IMHO Mason, don't go near triple and double tonguing until you can single tongue semiquavers comfortably using different articulations at around 120 bpm across 1 1/2 octaves. Mason you are still a beginner and have yet to earn your triple tonguing spurs. The best thing that you can do to achivieve a "Jimmy Shepherd" or "Jules Levy" type of triple tongue is to develop a superb single tongue.

By the way Mason, i like your new civilised Avatar and name! It is good to see that an impressionable young man such as yourself is no longer condoning and glorifying a violent low life such as a hitman;one who murders for a living.
    Keep practicing

Bloomin Untidy Musician

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BUM,
    the articulation and tone go hand in hand. We "color" our sound with the position of the tongue. I also believe that mother language also "colors" the way we play. If we "add" the tonguing to a healthy airstream (something that I teach from the very first lesson), everything benefits. This is most easily learned right from the very beginning. I have in 30 years of teaching and countless students never had to change strategy.

I have found that when I wait until a student has a "nice sound", that they do NOT practice the tonguing as they should because the tone "suffers". That makes them think that something is wrong and try to compensate elsewhere. The development is MUCH more clumsy and takes longer until the tonguing gets light.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mason,

See what happens when people see you giving things a go - you can't know your limits unless you actually explore them - it is very easy to talk yourself out of something you haven't tried. Don't put limits on yourself unnecessarilly. How can you know that you are unable to triple tongue unless you have given it a shot? Be bold. :roll:

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Rowuk

I think that that it is pretty unconventional and perhaps controversial to teach double and triple tonguing so early on. You have said yourself in previous posts the importance of keeping things simple. I am not questioning YOUR success rate with teaching this to students. I think it is clear from your many excellent and thoughtful responses within this forum that you are a teacher who is "the exception rather than the rule." Bearing this in mind, should a student without a teacher of your skills and experience, try and tackle this himself?

Cheers

BUM

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BUM,
    I don't know if I am the exception, but I do know how much fun it is to be in a position to stretch these kids physical and mental limits regardless of age!

As far as players without teachers, why not? If the chance of failure is great anyway, why not go for it all? Mason is pretty new to the trumpet but sounds like he has a teacher that needs a nudge every once in a while! I would be VERY interested to see what Mason could do with this adventure. The comments that come back (he is not afraid to post!) could be very enlightening for other players too.

My recipe for Mason is a scale per week: slurred, single tongued and then double tongued (tukutukutuuuuuuh). Start with C major, then D, Bb, Eb, F, G, A. Write the notes out with the fingerings underneath. That lets you concentrate on keeping that air MOVING. This suggestion would not interfere with your teachers agenda and show us if you practice like you post!

Try it seriously for 4 weeks. You then have 4 scales and probably a pretty quick double tongue.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    And the quality of sound will come. :play:

10. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    thanks all. I think my teacher will teach me it when im ready