Trombone Hindering trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Anybody play both? What do you think?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    To the degree you neglect one for the other, your performance will suffer. If you cut 30 min from trumpet for trombone, you're trumpet playing will go south. I do play both, but focus mainly in trumpet.

3. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Yea i would do the same just factor in an hour or so a week of trombone

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you add to, your trumpet playing should be okay. Just make sure your trombone teacher understands you also play trumpet. The embouchures are different.

5. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    There are a number of players who go back and forth between the two without any problems. The one I know who does it best is Mike Bogart, who once told me "It's all in your head, man".

I think that the same could be said for playing mouthpieces of different sizes for different trumpets (picc, flug, Bb or Eb trumpets). It's all in your head =)

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    And your family will suffer even more. Ask my wife.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've been a bonehead for about two 1/2 years, pretty much 4 or 5 days a week, and I can't say it's helped my trpt playing, but my practice has helped my bone playing. They work different muscles, or I should say embouchure muscles in different ways. Getting those muscles to stay in shape seems to take less time on the bone than for trpt, for me, but then I don't play three hour gigs on the trombone! It's like the bone emb. has to maintain a different shape in the mpc than a trpt emb., so they each deserve your time if you want to put it in. I get a huge kick out of it, but I doubt I'll be playing out, perhaps ever, on the bone.

ed

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I played Baritone and trumpet and as long as you practice with discretion you will be alright!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play tenor horn and tuba in addition to the trumpet. No issues. I would say that the piccolo trumpet can mess an embouchure up quicker.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    So far, only 3 months or so on the trombone - and 3 years+ as a comebacker on the trumpet ---- not really a problem --- takes me twice as much practice though --- if anything, the trombone has helped with "breath support" or something that is helping me get louder, fuller notes in the higher range on the trumpet.

hopefully, I can put up small vid of "If I Were A Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof this weekend --- where I switch "back and forth" in the song between trombone and trumpet, without too many "blurps" on either horn.