Trombone Hindering trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Struebob

Struebob New Friend

Jan 4, 2012
    I've picked up the french horn and baritone awile back and have had no problems. Just don't let bad habits form.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I would think that trombone might also serve to teach some relaxation in the face (as well as what KT mentioned), but this is just a hypothesis. I know a few that double, no incident, because they practice all in addition to the trumpet.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree with the relaxation effect. I can usually go to the trombone, after playing the trumpet for awhile in my practices, without taking much of a break, and keep playing on the trombone without many ill effects. I think it is more efficient for me to play both instruments before taking a small break!!!!!!!

4. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Explain what you mean by discretion.

5. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Bad habits like?

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I sporadically double on trombone. I started on trombone in fifth grade and it was my main instrument until I was 30. 18 years later, I call myself a trumpet player but I'll break out the trombone once in a while.

Trombone works best for me if I approach it very "lightly." I play a quite small mouthpiece and accept that I sound like a doubler. I don't try to get the biggest, fattest sound. I don't try to pump out the volume like I did when I played trombone in community orchestras, playing Brahms or Tchaikovsky. On the trombone mouthpiece, I try not to get very much meat (my chops) into the cup -- obviously I need to make a seal and my lips have to be relaxed enough play low notes, but I try not to my embouchure get so soft that my lips intrude way into the trombone mouthpiece cup.

If I do all that, I can switch between trumpet and trombone with little difficulty -- even switching in a song, or (since I can play my Superbone left-handed) alternating phrases. But I won't claim to sound like a dedicated trombonist.

Which is not to say that you can't. Or, conceivably, that I couldn't -- if I was willing to put in the extra practice time. There are plenty of examples of players who sound great on both trumpet and trombone, without making obvious sacrifices in quality on either. I have witnessed Mic Gillette show a bari sax player how to play a funk lick by playing it, in the correct octave, on his King 3B trigger trombone and Jet-Tone mouthpiece and he was cranking on the low notes.

I'm just relating my experience, given my casual approach to the trombone.

Last Fourth of July I helped a buddy out with his neighborhood band Independence Day parade and concert the the park. He had no euphoniums, so I dug out my Olds Studio baritone horn and used a (by my standards) big, deep mouthpiece -- a Bach 7. I played loud, I played fat, and I went for as much meat in the cup as possible. In that venue I wanted to sound, as much as possible, like a real euphonium player. By the end of the concert I wouldn't have wanted to try to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on trumpet. I played lead trumpet in a rehearsal band the next night and all I can say is I survived. It was three or four days before my trumpet chops felt normal.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Mic Gillette is a great example, the trumpeter/trombonist from Tower of Power. He's a monster .... One of the biggest hits for TOP, sorry, blanking on the title, has Mic doing a very high trumpet part, immediately followed by trombone. He doubles effortlessly. (probably took years of practice though). Trombone Shorty also shows that it can be done very successfully. Seems a natural to me, I wonder why more don't do it?

Turtle

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Well, I guess those of us you are not pros simply do not have the time, because there is still the day job, wife, kids etc.

But as long as you really want to switch it should be no problem.

Having played the trombone for over 30 years, but trumpet and flugel for only 2 years I can say that the breath I have on trumpet is just fine
    because I play a bass trombone that sucks a lot of air out of me! :lol:
    OK, the embouchure is slightly different, but the trumpet chops I have recently built up also help a bit in the register of trombone.
    In other words, it might be a bit like give and take between these instruments.

Reeds are quite a different beast though: I recall that I once tried tenor sax next to my trombone playing - man, THAT was awful, I quit the sax after a couple of weeks.

Just my 2€ cents :-)

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree -- it takes me twice as long in practice to try and get the trombone up to speed by May (which is parade season), and that is when my community bands more mature trombonists are unable to march --which means there is 1 trombone in the summer parades, and I (hopefully) will make 2. I need to KEEP switching frequently in the middle of my practice between trumpet and trombone ---to KEEP up on both instruments.
    but I have worked the trombone in SLOWLY over the past 3 months.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, I found a neat trombone setting on the drawbars of my Hammond B3... Does that count?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012