Trombone on the side...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by satchmatic, Jun 26, 2007.

1. satchmatic

satchmatic New Friend

Jun 25, 2007
    Ive been playing trumpet for about 10 months and love it, and i want to take up trombone on the side. Would this hurt my ability to play in any way, such as range or tone?

2. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    Not if you are willing to practice the trumpet for the same amount of time that you already are. If you are practicing an hour a day now, continue to practice an hour a day once you pick up the bone.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trombone can be a great way to warm down after playing trumpet. Then, when you pick up the trumpet again, the mouthpiece seems real small, and the high notes easy! Have fun!

4. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I like playing trombone and pick it up a couple times a week. Great for loosening up if I've been playing a lot of trumpet.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I think it is more common than most of us expect. Some play baritone as a second instrument.

6. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Will Strieder at Texas Tech incorporates Euphonium in all of his students playing. I know in the morning warm-up the studio buzzes on Euphonium MP's and Plays as well. He believes it not only wont hurt, but it also will enhance our playing. (Then again he is the reason I have an amado water key on my mouthpiece)
    JR

7. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    A WHAT!!? Why!??

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play tenor horn with an Oom-pah group. I would hate to play the Brandenburg after a gig like that, but just about everything else works.
    Every once in a while, I will grab my sons tuba and play for an hour. Brings my confidence in my breathing ability back into focus.......