Trombone player gonna learn trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TyphoidJerry, May 13, 2012.

1. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I started on trumpet, switched to euph in college, and have just recently come back to the trumpet. I even picked up a cheapo Chinese valve trombone for a lark... It's actually a lot of fun. Finding time to practice ALL the various horns is a challenge. I'm currently giving the trumpet the Lion's share of my time, but can roll over to the euph after burning out my trumpet chops and get my embouchure a second wind. Trying to juggle too many horns might not be a great approach if I was hoping to achieve a pro level of competence, but there's joy in making music at several ends of the sonic spectrum, and I'm having a blast!

2. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I can't offer any advice on switching from trombone to trumpet, but as far as buying an instrument goes, buy an old OLDS.

Your choice may be curtailed by your budget and its very tempting to go for a Super or Recording if funds allow but honestly an Olds Ambassador is hard to beat, can take a beating and are readily available.

Good luck.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Coming over to the dark side : ) Welcome !

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm so far away from a trombone that my slide isn't accurate anymore, but I quadruple on picc, cornet, trumpet and euphonium, the latter as uses same mpc as trombone and baritone. You get use to the switch when you have to as I did to minor in instrumental music, and then after a 40 year lapse, it hasn't been a problem for me.

ABCDEFG repeated over and over. The bottom line of the bass clef is a G and the top line an A. If you already know the bass clef, lets cheat. The notes in the treble clef are a line or space higher than they were in the bass clef. In the treble clef the bottom line is an E and the top line is an F. What happened between the bass clef and the treble clef? BCD that's what! Many of us learned a ditty in early education that was Every Good Boy Does Fine. These are the lines of the treble clef. We also learned the spaces spelled FACE.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ed that's cool -- I remembered the monickers from high school band --- where are finals always consisted of naming 10 or so notes from each clef (though as a trumpet player then --- I could do that with bass clef -- with a paper, and pencil, and it only being a test.
    FOR ME -- ON THE FLY -- with the trombone in hand (or in Typhoids case the trumpet in hand) --- playing the notes, and remembering the slide positions is a slow process --- I mean, I just can't look at it, and play with it, without "thinking" G clef --- just the way life is for me ---- MY HAT IS OFF TO THOSE PEOPLE like you ED, where this "$tuff" comes easily, and naturally, --- BUT I am going to get it --EVENTUALLY - ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I didn't stand a chance. My Mom was a pianist and elementary teacher. I was drilled to identify all 88 keys. She'd put or finger on one and I had to name it.

To play bass (F) clef, think of Lady GAGA as gives you the two lowest notes on the staff and the the two highest on the bass clef and that a B is now on second line instead of the 3rd as it in Treble (G) clef. Another look, observe the backward C that denotes the bass clef. Did you notice the two dots on the outside of the curve? Those dots straddle the bass F 4th line, thus the alpha name of the bass clef.

Now the bad news! Bass music is usually written for a C instrument and you want to play a Bb tenor trombone. Thus, you must play two semi tones (one step) higher and add 2 sharps to key signature, each sharp negating a flat one for one if they are present. Hope the music is written in the Key of F (two flats) as allows that you'll have no flats or sharps in what you are playing. With what I stated earlier need I now tell you I have no trouble now sight reading such from piano music ( a C instrument ) for either cornets, trumpets, or euphonium.

7. TyphoidJerry

TyphoidJerry New Friend

May 10, 2012
    Awesome, thanks so much! Thankfully I can read treble clef with some competence although I'll probably be penciling in notes above the staff for a little while at least. I'll take the advice on looking for a decent used pro horn and slowly working the trumpet into my trombone practices. That makes good sense to me and will help me learn how to switch between the two instead of abandoning one in favour of the other. I'll let y'all know how it goes and how I progress.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    TyphoidJerry -- yes, I was going over my trombone marching songs last night --- 5 months --- I actually thing I will be able to make it sound decent --- the fast riffs and the slide -- (well it will be like you and the trumpet) --- some days, it goes well, and I feel like I'M THERE --- then on another night --- the slide/mind/body combination ---- forgets what it is doing ------ I suspect you will discover that on the trumpet, some days, you will say -- this is so cool -- -and other days -- YOU WILL SAY THIS TRUMPET IS TOUGH (oh wait a minute, a lot of us trumpet players say that now)
    anyways -- I would look at 4 - 5 months to be at a community band level ---------------that might ease the frustration level a bit ----but, you can do it ---persistence, patience with yourself, and practice ----- WHAT COULD BE EASIER --after all that is how you learned the trombone --isn't it??????

9. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I too am making the switch from trombone (bass) to trumpet. Although the last time I played the trombone was 15 years ago.

Last night I jumped on the trumpet for the first time and wow - it's a lot harder than I anticipated. I can only blow C-G. I'm on a Conn 3C mouthpiece and have really thick lips.

I certainly didn't have this much trouble on the trombone when I first picked it up and I'm a bit worried.

Or maybe I expected too much of myself in thinking I'd be able to do the C scale off the bat.

TyphoidJerry - how did your first week on the trumpet go for you?

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Corona, it's an enormous jump from a large trombone diameter down to the diameter of a trumpet mouthpiece. You'll need to develop the knack of buzzing only a tiny little portion of your lip (compared to bass trombone), and then "capture" that buzz in the smaller mouthpiece. If (and only if) you can roll your lips in and squeak out a tiny little "mosquito fart" buzz -- through a tiny aperture somewhat near the center of your lips -- try practicing some free buzzing.

If you can't do the free-buzz thing, get an alto horn mouthpiece. It will fit into the trumpet receiver, and you should be able to fit your lips into it. Once you get comfortable on that diameter, move to a really big trumpet mouthpiece, like a Schilke 24 or Bach 1. Continue downsizing as you get comfortable on the smaller diameter.