Trombone player gonna learn trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TyphoidJerry, May 13, 2012.

1. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Corona, when I picked up the trumpet again, in SPITE of playing the euph regularly, I sounded awful. I was even blowing C within the staff flat! Don't worry that you can't play a full scale yet. I'm a couple of months into my comeback and every day gets easier. While a lot of my focus has been on embouchure development and breath control, I'm making forays above the staff with greater frequency and comfort as time goes by... You'll get there!

2. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the feedback! This is exactly what I'll be focusing on!

I need to crawl before I walk.

3. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Update.

I had a breakthrough last night.

With the Trombone my mouthpiece was always centered - and I thought this the norm.

But last night, I started moving the mouthpiece off center and found a sweet spot. It actually sits halfway in between the center to the right side of my lips. It's very very far off center.

I'm now happy with the Tone quality and have no problems doing the C scale (and beyond).

After reading around, it seems that an off center embouchure is not necessary a bad/disadvantaged thing.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Is there someone sitting in front and to your left that is good looking or do you share music with the player to your left. If neither of these are factors and you are comfortable physically and with the sound coming out your bell, who am I to tell you to center your mpc. The dogma of doing what others tell me to do ended when I moved away from my parents and completed military service.

5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I can harken back to the '70s and say that if it feels good, do it!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as for me the Olds 3 mpc that came with my 60+ year old trombone -- is kind of big --- I got one of those plastic kelly 12C's -- which helped. Next week I should get my "asymmetric mpc" for trombone ---as the local machine shop says they will have my Stainless Steel mpc modified by then. (FYI -- the Asymmetric mpc, supports my lower lips, and essentially reduces the size of the mpc) --
    for typhoid and others who are going from trombone to trumpet --- the reverse might help -- get a big bucket trumpet mpc --- and then if you want -- try to reduce that.
    OR MAYBE for a trombone player -- the big bucket 1C or something trumpet mpc -- will be AWESOME anyhow. just a passing thought ----- as we are going in reverse directions.

7. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Very interesting thread with highly valuable information.
    Well, travelling between the worlds of trombone and trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn is what I have
    been doing for the last 14 months or so, and I am with you regarding the gradual downsizing, kingtrumpet.

I have been a bass trombone player for 30 years, so the only useful step was to pick up the flugel with a Curry 1 FLD and gradually making my "way up" by means of cornet and finally and downsizing the mouthpieces.

But it works for me, even if it was some hard work adjusting to the really different requirements regarding breath and lips etc. I found the flugelhorn and also cornet easier at first due to the bore and resistance that felt similar to my trombone.

Now I can switch between bone & trumpet and vice versa, but it is still kind of strenuous,
    and my embouchure won´t last too long - at least I need some time to recuperate.

BTW like nieuwguyski, I knew all about the fingering because I had played baritone at high school.
    And I was familiar with the treble clef too. All that made switching to trumpet easier.
    I guess at my age tend you tend to be foolishly slow at learning entirely new things...:oops:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course -- I have been doing 2 hour practices for the last 6 months -- mostly equal time on trumpet and trom -- and if I extend that time -- I prefer the trumpet, because it is EASIER for me ( a trumpet player).
    slow will win the race every time. Yesterday was the last parade of the season --- and temps in the 90's (rare for upstate NY) -- I was amiss of everything from breathing, to lip elasticity, to coordination (not my best showing on the trombone) --- 4 people in the band dropped out of the parade --- all are OK.
    so dehydration, sun beating down on me, uphill parade half the time, humidity and breathing --- so once everything is out of synch --it was a tough go for the parade on the trombone.
    NOT TO LET THE TROM beat me ---- later that night, I got it out (along with the trumpet) and played another hour and a half ---- it SEEMS SO EASY, at night (fully hydrated, not marching and playing at the same time, in air conditioning, no distractions from the summer heat (and also pretty young women on the sidelines), and no excessive humidity.

OVERBLOWING -- outdoors in the parade -- killed my trombone chops about halfway through the parade anyhow ----sometimes, US OLD people got to still learn -- AND IT IS A SLOW PROCESS -- but gosh, gee whiz, golly --- I felt pretty young and strong standing next to the 90 lb. 17 year old trombone sister in the parade ---- YET, YOUTH WON THIS TIME!!!! she came through the parade with great big trom sound -- just as easily as when she started!!!

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Social climber.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Since you are already used to the larger trombone mouthpiece try starting with a 3C...Get a mint Olds Ambassador horn to start. Enjoy...