Trombone player gonna learn trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TyphoidJerry, May 13, 2012.

1. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Update:

Had my first lesson with my old brass teacher last week (it's been 16 years) and she set me straight.

I was playing to the side was because my muscles are stronger on one side but it will hinder any future development if I continue down this path.

Embouchure is back to center.
    I'm on a larger Bach 1 1/4C mouthpiece to develop it.

Lesson of the day: don't cut corners.

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Getting lessons seems like the best solution to get up to speed on the trumpet. I am a bit surprised on the mouthpiece selection, but do whatever works for you.

I wonder how difficult it would be to go the other direction... I got my son playing trombone, and sometimes think it might be fun to play around with, but don't have much interest in trombone, but in the future it could be helpful if I was more versed in trombone so I could help him more. I, however, am definitely thinking of getting some lessons to work on some euphonium stuff that I am limiting (for the most part) to just tuba xmas. Although friends from church thought about doing a trio of low brass, but for now I will stick to trumpet.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's not difficult learning the trombone -- just takes time -and patience -- and that's how easy it is!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    For me, comparing the two, trombone was extremely easy to learn. I was able to pick it up very fast and can't remember any real difficulties or issues.

That was 16 years ago and I hadn't touched a brass instrument since.

Fast forward to today, and I've found the trumpet to be a completely different beast. The blow is so much more focused and you need more stamina and discipline to play the higher notes.

Exactly.

5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I just got a Jet Tone 1D with a huge cup and I've noted that it really saps my stamina and makes intonation a bigger challenge. I can see why your teacher might recommend it as an embouchure workout device!

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

while, traditionally a trumpet player -- I find the opposite to be true --- the trombone, although easier to get a sound out of ----IS MORE difficult for me to get good sustainable LOW range (somewhere from D on the third line of the staff, and down) --- seems that I don't have the focus of the lips, or the AMOUNT of air needed ---- I end up "sucking wind" within a few measures. YET --- the higher range (above that D) on the bone --seems to be "relatively" easy ---
    WELL except, reading Bass clef, and sometimes those stupid alternate slide positions -- that are meant to make my trombone playing life easier --- ROFL ROFL ROFL