Trombone Shorty Plays National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    @BrotherBACH and @xjb0906 obviously you guys don't get it.
    A thread that begins calling attention to a musical performance surely didn't really mean it. It's all about the gear, man. It's all about the gear.

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Oh, OK. The gear is ineed cool. Very, very cool.

BrotherBACH

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It's always about the performance. Trombone Shorty is one of the baddest men walking the planet with brass instruments in hand. His National Anthem is not my favorite but it is good to see someone representing us. I suspect it was much better in person. None of the youtube videos are good quality. I would be proud just to shake his hand.

Solar Bell likes this.
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Tongue-in-cheek guys. Tongue-in-cheek.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Noew that's just nasty. At least the front end will stay on the ground at speeds.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Compare what? Each one is just another rendition, a different personal take on the Anthem.

I prefer Troy's version. It's all just personal taste.:dontknow:

Turtle

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Rapa has a great sound.... plays it in a different key, so high F is the top.
    Sandoval does the dubba C... what's not to love about that. Even he was excited!
    I didn't like Hirt's varying of the tempo.... his version must be where Jesse McGuire picked up some of his ornamentations.

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Turtlejimmy,

I agree that it is about personal taste. I am a huge fan of Trombone Shorty. But, that was not a performance I am fond of. For example, I am a big fan of Al Hirt. I have loved him since I was a wee spat. RCA Victor has put out a series titled "Basic 100". Number 39 of the series features trumpet concertos, and Al Hirt performs Hyden Trumpet concerto. It is an awful rendition. Al Hirt is my trumpet "god" and yet, I can see past that and acknowledge that he performance was underwhelming. Now the other chap who perform Hummel and Molter is Guy Touvron. I never heard of him before but what a sweet surprise he is.

When I compare Troy to the others, each of which are very different from each other, the others just seemed so much more in their own unique ways.

BrotherBACH

xjb0906 likes this.
  9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't forget to compare TS to this guy either
    Scott Dean (2001-2005) Blue Devils Star Spangled Banner - YouTube
    TS has good technique -- in not taking his lips off the mpc ---and breathing through his nose -
    oH wait a minute --- TS puffs his cheeks out, and that is bad, so bad, poor techniqe ---can't you all hear how wrong it is????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL