Trombone Shorty Plays National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 9, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    :D

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    There has been lots of talk comparing different renditions of The Star Spangled Banner. Let's just appreciate any rendition for its own style. As long as it is performed well with proper respect for the flag and our country it should be respected and not compared to some other person's performance. It is either done well and inspires patriotism or it doesn't.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    You can say what you want about TS’s rendition of the SSB. How many people were in that crowd, 70,000 ? Now put yourself in his shoes, it’s just you and a mic on TV no less, 70,000 people standing in front of you, 70,000 sets of eyes watching, 70,000 sets of ears listening, lets talk about pressure here. In Arturo’s vid you can see HE’S nervous…..Mr. Sandoval is nervous ? That’s the kind of pressure you will feel if you play the SSB in front of 70,000 people live, no room for error, and a reputation on the line. I think he did a fine job just BREATHING. Sure down in your basement or practice space you can play a world class rendition of it…..try it in front of 70,000. Not many people could put themselves in that environment and pull it off !! TS, Good job !!!

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I say bring it on. 9,000 is my biggest so far. Mine is very straight and traditional. I am no where the caliber of musician that any of these folks are, but I look forward to bigger crowds as time goes on.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've heard this song a thousand times .... When somebody brings something completely different to it, without being disrespectful, I sit up and notice. Troy (he wasn't alone, he wisely had his saxes with him) gave this old standard some new life IMO, with his ultra groovy New Orleans take on it. Are you guys missing the lilting and second line-like vibe of Troy's SSB? I thought it was very cool what he did and I seriously doubt nerves had anything to do with it. Sounded great to me.

Trombone Shorty, giving trumpet a good name. :lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I never thought he was nervous and I liked his version.It was different without being over the top. It just isn't my favorite. The sax comment was a joke. This is TrumpetMaster after all. I do like it better after hearing a better quality recording.

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    larrywiseman.com When this page opens you will hear my friend and National Coordinator for Bugles Across America play his own arrangement of the SSB. I think it is great and have the arrangement. I still don't have the chops to sound pretty playing Larry's arrangement. My wife thinks it is too busy and not traditional enough. It is all about personal taste. She was a flute playing drum major. Explains a lot.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I think your wife is very wise.

BTW, Your recording would sound just as good (and without all the fluff) if YOU used way too much reverb on the recording!

Reverb is pancake makeup.

BTW, YOUR recordings are very nice.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I don't know about the reverb. I nearly hang myself unplugging mics and monitors after a big band gig. Electronics are not my thing.I will say that Larry is a pretty accomplished player in his own right. Not sure he needs reverb to clean it up that much. Thanks for the kind words about my recordings. Keep the comments about the wife being wise to yourself. Her head is big enough already. ROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, but even if TS made a wrong note -- or something --- the Saxophonists would have been the fall guys ---- darn squeaky woodwinds anyhow --- they could make any trumpet player sound good !!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL