Trombone Shorty Plays National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 9, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. Let me see if I can clarify. While I did post other peoples rendition, I also had in mind how Troy plays relative to himself in the past. He is a wonderful musician with monster chops. I love his work. I have purchased his CDs and watched many video performances of his on Youtube. Knowing all that, I thought there was something off relative to himself. But, that does not mean I think he is a fantastic player otherwise.

BrotherBACH

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Al's rendition gave me goose bumps.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Fair criticism.

It was about 40 degrees and breezy at the time, stadium was noisy, and reverb/feedback can be a nightmare, so there were plenty of things that could have prevented him from playing his best.

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Would love to hear one played in clean legit style even though Al Hirt's is nice and Adam's is lyrical and not overblown.

In other words, can anyone tongue anymore?

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- some of us trumpet players can tongue and do staccato, and sharp edged notes --- but I love to flow with the music, and blend the notes, (not necessarily specific to the National Anthem) --but I like to add grace notes, some scale up notes, or arpeggios in the songs I do, some jazzy ad lib stuff. There was a consensus of sorts on another "Star Spangled Banner" post a year or so ago, something along the lines that the "Marines" played it straight up in the correct octave ----so I guess if I ever do the Anthem in public, that will always be in my mind -----

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I don't think Joe Public has much appreciation for the ultra clean legit style. I play it pretty straight but try not to use attacks that are too defined. They just wouldn't understand. You have to play to the audience you have. Most of them are not brass players.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Some chap on TM posted a video of their rendition about a year ago that was wonderful! I think there is such an emotional attachment to the anthem that when it is played straight and clean, it is just soooo beautiful and greatly appreciated. Other versions are appreciated too. But it is one of the few songs that I know of where a trumpet player with simple, clean technique can really be appreciated by all.

That anthem means so much to so many (including me) who ever plays it better have heart.

BrotherBACH