Trombone Shorty vs. Wynton Marsalis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I feel like Trombone Shorty outdid Wynton this time.....

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    vs. threads are stupid.

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I can't watch the video where I'm at. But judging from Shortys trombone playing which I've heard (meaning if his trumpet playing which I've never heard is anywhere near his trombone), then I'd say any "outdoing" of Wynton would only be because Wynton let him. (which would be the classy thing to do)

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    There is no outdoing anyone in this video. Just different style of interpretting the jam session they were having. It's all show and wowing the audience. Given, Shorty was added a little more dynamics to his licks in the upper register, but listen to the changes that Wynton blends into his lick. That is great improvisation. On both their parts its great and both have different approaches.

Dupac likes this.
  6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    While just saying that a vs thread is stupid, is, well stupid, but this really isn't a "Vs" video. These are both great soloists just jamming out, no competition there.

7. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    I heard two different styles, two different expressions, two different instruments by two different musicians.....I closed my eyes and used my ears. I heard Shorty play trumpet and he does have some serious skills, but like I tell my friends "stick to what you do" lol......he's good but not anywhere near Wynton!

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
  9. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Okay....listened to "when the Saints" and still......Shorty has some serious chops, but to ME he is better playing trombone. I am not taking anything away from him but I can't compare him to Wynton on a trumpet. Then too my ears are older, so maybe I'm missing something?? Shorty has what the young crowd calls "mad skills" no doubt, and that's real.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012